Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

a little video from the N6WM test shack with a look of V3 multiflex Multi-op contest use cases

ctate243
ctate243 Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
This is just a little slow paced video showing some of the multi-computer multi-user contest capability of SSDR v3 with multiflex while testing in the shack...  not scripted or anything.. just some testing.. sorry for all the "umms"...  still trying to wrap my own head around all of this.. ;-).

https://youtu.be/w4beVyrF7tw

Comments

• Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    very nice, thanks for sharing
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Great video Chris!
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    WAIT!!!! I see SPOTS on the 6600M screen?? With 3.0 is this now possible? Normally you need SmartSDR and a computer to run those programs.. Also, with Version 3.xx, when running SmartSDR does the screen on your 6600M stay on now??? 

Robert
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited April 2019
    Chris is running a second PC feeding spots to the M panel. You still need SmartSDR CAT running to feed the spots to the M display panel.

Dave wo2x

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    • I watched the video again to better understand what is going on.. So,, the Flex 6600M is showing Spots on the screen. So with version 2.xx you can not do that, you will need Version 3.xx and of course a separate computer, but this would indicate that unlike the 2.xx version where the 6600M screen changes to a standby screen when SmartSDR is connected, with version 3.xx, the 6600M screen stay ON, is that correct???
    Robert
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Robert- Re spots: I think this was supported on 2.49, you just need to run SSDR cat and setup a tcp port on your N1MM logging PC on the same LAN to feed the N1MM spots and it should work.. give it a shot.   but I would have to downgrade to confirm.

Re the m panel display -- if you want it too.  V3 is mult-client.  a client can be an M panel on a 66/6400-M, a maestro, SSDR for windows.. and when compatible SSDR for IOS.  So if no clients are being leveraged by the M panel, you still get the standby screen.  if there are clients active from the M panel you will see their panadapters. 
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited April 2019
    Robert, V2 supports spots on Maestro and M panel. You need a PC running just SmartSDR CAT (not SmartSDR) and also running your spot source program such as N1MM+. As Chris stated you need to configure an N1MM spot entry in CAT. So to recap, the PC provides the source of spots to SmartSDR CAT which talks across the network to the radio. Dave wo2x.
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    Interesting. I never operated multi so maybe these are silly questions.

When transmitting an exchange in a contest does that interfere with the 2nd operator copying an exchange for his QSO? Is it full duplex so no problem?

Restrictions running same band (CW and SSB sub-bands)?

You mention run1/run2 but I assume S&P is also supported?

With only a single transmitter, doesn't that cause some issues with response timing? For instance, op2 can't finish his exchange until op1 is done with his.

Considering the other currently popular thread concerning significant API changes. I note you are using N1MM+. That is not affected by the API changes? I wonder what the actual issue is then.

Hard question to ask without coming off as looking for problems. That's not my intention. As an experienced contester and, assuming you've already used multi in contests, are there any features you think will need refinement quickly or do you think it will be fully serviceable upon release? (Won't blame you if you ignore this one.)

Thanks for the vid.

Kev K4VD

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Wouldn't this be a Multi Single setup since you only have one transmitter ? Multi Two allows two transmitted signals on two different bands at any time.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Well this was sort of a "lets see how this can work" scenario and not necessarily zeroing in on any particular contests rule set.  but yes we can put our thinking I think the real innovative power at the competitive contest level fall into 2.5 categories.

In the end, the 2 multiflex connections are sharing a single transmitter. So as both operators can have the expanded views of the playing field that flex provides..the limitation is the one transmitter.

so.. speculating a bit doing the following without adding additional hardware:

1. M/S contesting
        - Use the same transceiver as a Run and mult station.

2. M/M contesting: add operating positions boosting overall qso count by catching mults that could be missed by a single run station..

2.5 expanding the capabilities of an M/2 station by providing similar run/mult capabilities

Those are just some initial thoughts on applying these capabilities at the top competitive level... and for the other casual type contesters, just adding more ways to have fun, perhaps allowing a friend to join you operating the contest without having to make a huge investment in it...  

Lets see what the community can do with these new capabilities, it should be fun to watch unfold.

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Kev, Ill do my best to answer to the best of my ability as of now, and this is all my personal observation and not flex endorsed feedback:

Q: When transmitting an exchange in a contest does that interfere with the 2nd operator copying an exchange for his QSO? Is it full duplex so no problem?

A:  depends on your environment.  full duplex still works so in certain cases this would not be a problem.. if say you had a run and mult on the same band.. full duplex could still apply, if you were using separate antennas with adequate separation but in most cases you could be interrupted.. it is after all, 1 transmitter and multiple receivers in play

Q Restrictions running same band (CW and SSB sub-bands)?:

A: see my answer above as it is addressed and still applies

Q: You mention run1/run2 but I assume S&P is also supported?

A: this was just an on the fly speculatory.. but Ru/S&P in a multi op scenario probably would be the biggest value add for contesting..

Q With only a single transmitter, doesn't that cause some issues with response timing? For instance, op2 can't finish his exchange until op1 is done with his. 

A: Maybe.. some careful coordination would be needed to make this all flow.. so methods may need to change a bit..  lets see what folks do with it.. I am curious as well.

The other issues you mention are speculatory and I have no optics into what the future holds, and when new software is presented for test I am bound by NDA not to discuss until released from that obligation.  I appreciate you respecting that. 

• Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited April 2019
    Hi Chris... thanks for the answers. Concerning N1MM, you show it in the video. Was it fully functional or is that protected by NDA. If it is, question withdrawn.

Kev

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Thanks. That makes more sense for M/2 situations. Or two 6600M’s for true M/2 operations. This allows four operators . A Run and S&P op on each radio. Fun stuff !
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    N1MM uses cat and virtual ports in SSDR cat application that seem to all work fine providing all the correct ports are created.  N1MM does not leverage the flex API.  
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited April 2019
    Thanks... that is good news.

Kev

• Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I second that! Tnx! Johan

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.