Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

A Glimpse of the Future of Amateur Radio?

John - AF3K
John - AF3K Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Just wondering if other Flex owners are as amazed as I am by the new Oscar 100 (Es'Hail 2) geostationary satellite? 

* Xmit with 3 watts for an S9+ SSB signal covering a 10,000 mile footprint.  
* Propagation not dependent on time of day or sunspot cycles. 
* 250 KHz of bandwidth for CW, Digital and SSB modes.
* 2.4/10 Ghz feels like a 20 meter band that's always open.
* Use a small TV size satellite dish - more HOA and neighbor friendly.
* Additional bandwidth for experimenting with high speed data and TV.

The Oscar 100 footprint covers Brazil, Thailand, Germany, South Africa, but (unfortunately) not North America. Hopefully Oscar 100 will encourage more geostationary amateur satellites and more innovative (Flex???) gear for hams!   

This video, recorded this morning from the IS0GRB WebSDR receiver in Sardinia, Italy, is of a SSB QSO between PY2RN in Brazil and DK2DB in Germany - 5,000 miles as the crow flies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2OWYTO56Gc

John AF3K

Comments

• DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Very cool!
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I'd like to see ARRL and AMSAT create a funding push for something similar to OSCAR 100 for the US (like they did years ago for the Phase 3D program).  Or at least another high altitude elliptical orbit bird with linear transponders.  I really miss the days of OSCAR 13. 
  • DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Maybe a go fund me?
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Been listening to the 10GHz Satellite Here via Remote SDR Receiver in Italy Works great ! Hear Hams in Europe talking on CW And SSB now ! It real folks, a Stationary Satellite for Ham Radio 2.4GHZ/10GHz Hear it now !! Link below 73 Mike websdr.is0grb.it:8901/m.html
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited March 2019
    Hearing Europe working Stations in Africa now !! Via above link Tune the Receiver around !!! 73 Mike Imagine getting DXCC via Satellite ! We need a Remote FlexRadio in Europe With Version 3 Software so I can use it !!!!!
  • Mark K0JM
    Mark K0JM Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I have a DXCC via satellite certificate, so I don't have to imagine it. I got mine during OSCAR 10 and 13 days, but it has been done more recently even with the existing Low Earth Orbit satellites. I use my Flex 6700, with transverters, to work satellites almost daily, as do many others. Several articles on this have published in the AMSAT Journal, and there is Flex-specific satellite software available. The AMSAT organization has been continually exploring higher orbit and geostationary opportunities, and already has a fundraising program in place. But without membership and support these dreams are impossible. So stop musing about what AMSAT "ought" to be doing and join!
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited March 2019
    I can see it now DXCC via Satellite Those old timer’s hams will hate it ! Claiming it not Real Radio without the Sun Spots ! Hi ! Hi! 73 Mike
  • James Whiteway
    edited March 2019
    I resemble that remark!
  • Don
    Don Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019

mikeatthebeach  I don't think anyone appointed you the spokesperson for "old timer" hams.  Some of us "old timers" made OSCAR contacts, EME contacts, meteor scatter contacts,  ISS/STS contacts, etc., 30-50 years+ ago.  And yes, we often have DXCC on all bands & all modes including digital, CW and even on Phone!  I have heard some newly minted hams whining about how FT-8 was ruining Ham Radio.  I haven't been able to make any sense of that claim.  I do agree that a few sun spots would be extra nice!  Hi!  Hi!  73 Don
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    This 77 yo ham agrees with u Don. Have a nice day.
  • Andrew Thall
    Andrew Thall Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    My first Oscar qso was with a key across the PTT of a xtal-controlled 2m rig for uplink and my Drake RX on 10m down-link.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    My very first PSK31 contact was with a 94 year old Ham who had just bought and set up a soundcard mode - this was in 2000. 

It ain't the age, it's the outlook. I know some people in their 50's that think FT8 is killing Ham Radio. Then there's my buddy in Washington State and his outlook. 

The number of cool thinigs to do in Ham radio makes me kind of feel sorry for those who have determined only one mode or activity is the proper one. 
  • John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    More info:

* AMSAT DL  slide presentation
    * DL9SW QRZ page showing his Oscar 100 setup

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.