Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

A feature I would like now.

KM6CQ - Dan
KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in New Ideas

A feature I would like to see and should be implemented sooner rather than later is diversity reception. Specifically, I would like to see it in the format of phase noise cancellation. It should be automatic with ability to steer the phase manually as needed. Yes, I understand in the current scheme of SSDR it is separated into left and right channels. I think this would appeal to a lot of us with dual ADC’s simply because there is a lot of noise out there these days. Please do not make us wait to release it in 3.0

Thanks, Dan KM6CQ
9 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Anything else?
  • KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I agree.. I think the radio should be capable of receiving from whomever sends to it........
    Yeah I know..... I'm bad.....
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018

I am not sure what you are saying about phase cancellation. Are you suggesting two separate receive signals, each from separate antennas, to cancel the noise? Sometimes this is a tricky proposition, especially if the SNR of both received signals are the same, phase cancellation could easily leave you with nothing. For this to work, one antenna has to have more of the noise source than the other antenna so that the phase cancellation occurs more with the noise than both the noise and the signal. MFJ has a piece of hardware that does this and it works OK if the above conditions are met.

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I think you mean this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdQm17udCSo

And yes, I'd like to see it. (But I'm not making demands that I need it NOW, I would just like to see this sometime). 
  • Keith Ferguson
    edited January 2018
    I seem to remember being able to do this a few years back with my 5000 with 2nd receiver option. It worked really well (for me). If the functionality became available in the current radios, it'd probably be enough to tip me into upgrading from my 6500 to hardware capable of supporting it.
  • Brad A. Steffler
    Brad A. Steffler Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I upgraded to the 6700 from the 6500 for, among other things, just this optional capability. I sure would like to see this. But I am not demanding this right now. Whenever the time is right, considering all the present roll-outs, please.

Brad
    KE4XJ
  • KM6CQ - Dan
    KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Yes Jim, exactly as you have described it.

Dan
  • KM6CQ - Dan
    KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    When I spoke with Gerald and Steve at Visalia (BTW very nice gentlemen) they never promised this feature. I thought that since it was available in the F5K we would see it in SSDR as well. It can be such a useful tool, and for a SDR rig with 2 separate receivers the hardware is just waiting to be utilised. .

Dan KM6CQ
  • David (AA9G)
    David (AA9G) Member
    edited January 2018
    Kind of a mystery to me why it wasn't carried forward from the 5K, which I still consider to be a tier 1 radio if it has the 2nd receiver. I've always kind of felt like the 6300 was a step backwards. 
    If true diversity (and predistortion) are important then Anan's are the only ticket in town. 
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Forget any software upgrades for now, just get me my Flex 6600!!!!!
  • mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    What confounds me is that the original release date was targeted for September 2017.  I understand the delays caused by lack of vendor hardware but I would have thought the SmartSDR would have been coded and tested by September.  Maybe they made hardware changes that forced a total re-code.  Just keeping my fingers crossed it will come  in by Jan 20th.  
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2018
    If you are missing components, you can't build a complete radio.  If you don't have a completed pre-production radio, you can't validate and regression test the software.
  • mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Hmmm... so I guess the radios everybody saw at Dayton were not pre-production radios.  Not trying to stir the ****, but I am not following the logic. 
  • KS0CW
    KS0CW Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    i do believe they were prototypes...
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    i find it 'deplorable' that Enhanced Signal Clarity ( ESC ) has never appeared in SmartSDR...when it was available in PowerSDr...and still is in HPDSR...even with my lowly RedPitaya...

it totally escapes me why FRS will not allow 2 receivers to vary phase and gain in SmartSDR...

73, w5xz, dan...still knocking off new ones on 160 w my 6500...

• Tim - W4TME
    edited January 2018
    We never claimed they were pre-production radios but stated they were prototypes.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Mike, I understand your disappointments but haven't we beaten that drum to death? While I wish I had a 6600, I am very happy I bought a used 6500 to replace my blown 6700 and if I become incredibly wealthy in the future I will get another 6700!
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Simple logic applied to a business environment.
    As owner of first Canadian 6700 I have seen substantial overall performance improvement.
    Until now the 6700 has been the only 2 SCU product but the 6600 joins the family at a much better price point - meaning many times the number of in field units.
    The request for an equivalent to the 5000 diversity has existed from pre 1.0 beta and classified as a Science Research project since then.
    Agree with the request for phased diversity, definitely not the need it now.  With the new larger audience, read potential sales, it would be nice for this research to become a feature.
    p.s. Thanks Flex for the finest Rx (6700) I've used.
    p.p.s. Having worked with the 7610 it is interesting how many features ICOM has (picking the right word is difficult) "selected" from the 6700.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    It’s only software and software costs nothing to develop. ;>) Software development resources are infinite since it’s just software. ;>) Software engineers just love to work for free (especially in Austin, TX). ;>) Great but complex software is easy to develop and maintain. ;>) Oh, but my favorite feature is the most important. ;>) Repeat after me: I love my job, I love my job. ;>) Repeat after me: Gotta have a sense of humor. Gotta have a sense of humor. Gotta have a sense of humor. I remember the days when kids could listen to 80m without the parents worrying about what they would hear. I was one of those kids. Oh, but I digress. Happy New Year all... ;>) ;>) ;>)
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    so, this is FRS's response to customer feedback??

• W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    same category as request for VNA software ??

• Gerald-K5SDR
    edited April 2019
    @Dan. We really do appreciate customer feedback. Sometimes the days just get too long and life too short. We only have a thousand things in the backlog we would like to do and not enough time to do them all. All is with a sense of humor after a long day. Should have quit reading the community a couple hours ago. Don’t take it personal. As for VNA software - probably no time soon or maybe never. I can buy a good VNA cheaper than I can develop a full featured one. I personally would rather have a very portable VNA. There are several inexpensive ham products on the market that do a nice job that I use . Rigol makes a very cost effective scalar network analyzer built into their spectrum analyzer. We have a couple of those we use all the time. Diversity enhancements - probably a lot sooner. Just probablilities - not commitments either way. By the way, we invented the phase diversity “radar” in PowerSDR around 10 years ago. How come it’s not in SmartSDR??? It’s only priorities relative to allocation finite resources and paying for those resources. It’s just software... Sincerely, Charlie Brown
  • James Whiteway
    edited January 2018
    Time to go home Charlie Brown! Get some rest.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    edited February 2018
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    I think this is an excellent post to end this thread on.  GN.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.