Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

A fanless PC with Firewire port- any possible options?

Tom
Tom Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
I plan to replace my large in size PC with a much smaller fanless PC. A Firewire port is essential as I am going to use it with my Flex 3000 and 5000.
Can someone suggest me some specific brands, models or possibly ebay offers?
So far I have not had no luck in locating a PC which has a Firewire port.

Tom,  SP7WT

Answers

• Thomas Dove
    Thomas Dove Member
    edited March 2020
    I use Macs running Windows 10 on BootCamp partitions. Middle-age Macs have Firewire ports, and they work fine with my Flex 3000. Prices of recent model used ones, including Mac Minis, iMacs and laptops, are reasonable.
    -- Tom / k3orc
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Is there a firewire to USB adapter?
  • David H Malin
    David H Malin Member
    edited July 2017
    Just make sure you get a motherboard that has an extra PCIe slot available and then buy a PCIe Firewire 1394a Card.   Less than 30 dollars...I doubt any new computers will come with a built in Firewire Port. 

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    note
    that only works with Bootcamp on the Mac

the VM's such as VMware and Parallel do NOT support firewire interface
    Paul K3SF
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Hello Bill
    Never has been, I wouldn't expect one in the future, either. USB itself, can't do Firewire. Horses, also make lousy chicken substitutes, YMMV!!!image

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Wally
    Wally Member
    edited July 2017
    I just down-sized my computer size and bought one of these:
    Genuine Dell 1394A Dual Port Low Profile FireWire Card J886H CN-0J886H
    off eBay. Not all Firewire cards work with these radios. I would not get a 400/800 speed card. Just a 400. The one I bought was low profile for a slim case and was used for about 5$. There are no Firewire/USB adapters.
  • Thomas Dove
    Thomas Dove Member
    edited July 2017
    Correct; it must be a real Windows installation on a separate partition with BootCamp. Note that all new Macs have a Thunderbolt port and an inexpensive Firewire adapter for that. This will work with the Flex 3000. 
  • joe camilli
    joe camilli Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I believe FireWire cards with the TI chipset work well. At least for me they do
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2017
    For Win10, the VIAs are working fairly well too.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Tom, I would recommend using a Gigabyte fanless system. The best of them can run i7 processors but at a cost. Here is an Amazon US link of the model I would personally useL
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GX5YVTG/ref=psdc_3015426011_t2_B0196LP1LG

You can configure USB 3.1 to use Thunderbolt devices so I would then get a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter from Apple.
    https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Thunderbolt-to-Firewire-Adapter/dp/B00SQ2CJUS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&...

I have tested this on my Asus ROG laptop and it works fine with my 3000/5000 radios.

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    The VIAs do work but I still prefer TIs. The older-style 1394a TI chipset PCIe cards do not work with the latest Intel motherboard chipsets. You can safely buy the PCIe cards that use 1 1394A and 2 1394B ports and it works really well.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.