Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

A couple of new user 6500 questions

John VK3XM
John VK3XM Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
As a new user I am enjoying the 6500 but have need of advice. 
1: Am I supposed to see or hear anything when I activated the WBN button?
2: I am attempting to use DDUTIL to link to my SPE 1.3K amp.  I am running Win10, and using a USB cable between CPU and amp.  When I start DDUTIL it displays data from the amp but no band data is sent to the amp.  The amp is showing as com25 and have entered this into the amp settings.
The fact that the amp settings are shown in the DDUTIL display tells me that there is comms.
How do I turn on the band data from the rig to the amp?
Running SmartSDR 1.10.8.

Thanks for any help.
John VK3XM

Answers

• Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Hi John. What CAT mode have you set the SPE to? For this setup to work (with DDUtil) it must be set to RS/232 (not FlexRadio or Kenwood) I believe. 

73 Phil
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Did you make a 15 pin - 9 pin cable as in ddutil instructions Serial port in pc to cat on spe and set spe to kenwood.
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I think this is where much of the confusion with DDUtil<->SPE amps comes in as there are numerous different instructions around (all different!).

I am using a single cable to the RS-232 port on the SPE (not the 15-way CAT ports) and by using the special RS-232 CAT mode on the SPE, I can get full control of the SPE (power on/off and operate/standby) from within DDUtil as well as band switching.
  • John VK3XM
    John VK3XM Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Thanks for responding Phil,  as you say there are many different possible solutions and one does not know which to try.  The RS232 cable you are using is a nul modem or straight through and does it connect to a RS232 port on the computer or to a FTDI USB cable?

Thanks John
  • John VK3XM
    John VK3XM Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Hi Wayne,  at this time I only have a USB from the SPE to the PC.  DDUtill sees the amps status ie standby or operated but no band data.  i.e.  if the Flex is on 40 and the amp is on 40 and I chenge the Flex to 20 the amp stays on 40.

Thanks John
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Hi john
    The usb only does remote commands. You need a second cable for bandswitching. I was going from serial on pc to cat port on spe for band switching as per these instructions

http://k5fr.com/DDUtilV3wiki/index.ph...

But im now using a usb to rs232. (Gearmo) converter on the flex usb port as per new smart sdr. I think this is a better way but you need the ftdi usb- serial converter.
    Its fairly easy to figure
    Cherrs
    Wayne Let us know how you go. And when you have it sorted if you use 20 or 40 i would like to try freeedv with a vk with a strong signal one day. Havent found anyone yet
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I nearly forgot. Dont forget to configure auto drive in ddutil. You dont want flex purring 100w into spe. 4 watts drive gives around 400 watts
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hi John,

As mentioned the USB cable is only for the control interface and not for band data. The band data is on CAT A and CAT B ports. SPE has this strange arrangement.

You need a serial cable for CAT A and optionally CAT B (only if you're doing SO2R)..

I've done a comprehensive blog post here about it using the USB cable feature. It doesn't use DDUtil and the amp controls drive power.

http://www.n2rj.com/2016/12/flex-radi...

CAT mode on the amp should be set to "FLEX" as this allows use of the drive power control. AFTER it's set up you need to set the drive power PER BAND and per power level. You do this by pressing the arrow keys on the amp while it's on the band and power level and in the "operate" mode. Set up a dummy load and set drive power for appropriate power level.
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Ria. I am using the usb to serial converter for band data to my spe 1.3. It works well except randomly the spe beeps. The message is so fast so i put iphone on record. When it beeped i checked video recording and the spe is saying. 'Band not permitted'. It only is on receive hadnt noticed it when i tx. It is random but regular , fast and only since i am using flex band data. Didnt have it when using ddutil Are you or anyone else seeing this? Wayne
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    The WNB is challenging one. It depends on the environment you're in. Some people experience a reduction in noise others have no change. It works on correlated noise across the band. You can find several discussions and comments on the Flex Community.
  • Tom K3TF
    Tom K3TF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I have had good luck with the WNB. With my particular noise on 80 meters I see about an 8 db improvement when I switch it on.

Tom.....

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I've not seen this. What band? It will beep if you're tuned outside of amateur bands. You may want to lower the baud rate if you haven't done so already. I found that 9600 works well. Barring any RFI issues or issue with your USB adapter (genuine FTDI works best) or cable that's the other thing I would suspect.
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    John make your life easy and just let the Flex and the SPE do all the work.

If you create a COM port using Flex CAT and just connect the flex and the spe and set the spe to Flex protocol. It works GREAT !

You do need to set the Expert input power on amp. See page 39 on the Expert 1.3k manual.

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    The beauty of this method is when you go bypass the rig can return to 100w or whatever power level you like. This is important if you have a low drive (non FCC) version of the 1.3K-FA. 
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Exactly. Plus if you wan to adjust your power output just push the PWR button on the front of the 1.3k it automatically changes the output of the Flex.

It works great. For RTTY I might want to use LOW or MID but for DX SSB I hit MAX and it tracks the power output i have preset.

• Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    It seems to happen on any amateur band im on .  Been on 14076 a lot lately and it happens there.  If no one else is having the problem, im suspecting the gearmo converter.  Its not rfi cause it is happening on receive.  I will get the flex cable when the oz distributor has them in and see how that goes
    Thanks

• John VK3XM
    John VK3XM Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I would like to thank all who responded to my questions,  you have given me a lot of information with respect my lack of knowledge of my new radio.
    This Flex community is one of the pluses for flex owners
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    So, Im guessing you got the spe working with the flex on bandswitching
  • John VK3XM
    John VK3XM Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I tried to call on the twisted pair a couple of times.  I would like to ask a few questions rather than posting them all here.

Thanks John
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    My twisted pair? Cordless was taken out in last storm. Ill plug an old phone to socket. I mostly use mobile phone these days Tomorrow Sunday ive got a few things on but i think im free in afternoon. . Let me know around what time and if you want mobile or landline number
  • John VK3XM
    John VK3XM Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Thanks Wayne,  sent you an email.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.