Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

"WIDE" -- Noise -- Bandpass Filter Specific to SCU for all bands implimented?

Jim Bryce W5HFS
Jim Bryce W5HFS Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
WIDE and Noise -- Environment: Flex 6700 running 1.0 and Windows 7 on Lenovo Q150 TV computer (costs about $300) with two monitors. Works beautifully. The WIDE designation in the upper right stays on regardless of the the zoom state when I have two or more pans up on different bands. It is my understanding that when zoomed to small width WIDE should be removed indicating the noise floor has improved due to switching in a bandpass filter. I presume but don't know for sure that having multiple bands open requires the bandpass filter be switched out as the filter is specific to the spectrum capture unit (SCU) in use. Please advise me if my understanding is correct. Also, since I have a 6700 with two SCUs I assume I could use the second SCU on a different band and retain the better noise figure for two different bands. Which brings up an additional question. How do I know which SCU I'm using, and are both currently accessible on my 6700? Final observation: while testing I had a narrow section of 20 meters on one pan and a substantial portion of 10 meters on a second pan. I closed the 10 meter pan and the program crashed. It would not recognize the 6700 until I powered the 6700 down twice. Then the software found the 6700 and it booted up.

Answers

• K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Jim, There is a one-to-one relationship between an SCU and an antenna. So, if both panadapters are using the same antenna, they are using the same SCU. Therefore, you get the "Wide" indicator because the bandpass filter cannot be turned on without killing one of the 2 frequencies you are listening to. 73, Ray, K9DUR
  • Jim Bryce W5HFS
    Jim Bryce W5HFS Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Ray, Thank you. Now I get it. You select between the two SCUs by selecting their respective antennas. I just tried it out with success. It's clear now with your help. -Jim W5HFS
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Well Jim, in case you switched via DX cluster on other band from band where you are running now you will also get WIDE mark too. The issue is i would like to manage bandpass correctly by my self.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.