"Simple Diversity" coming in V1.3 - for 6700 only?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
Is the "simple diversity" feature that is coming in V1.3 for the 6700 only since it is the only model with 2 SCUs?   

See thread for rest of the discussion....

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/6700_vs_k3_still_no_contest?topic-reply-list%5Bsett...

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1734 Posts
  • 590 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Barry N1EU

Barry N1EU

• 495 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
Questioner answers his question in the question.

73, Barry N1EU
Photo of Mike - W8MM

Mike - W8MM

• 189 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Al,

Every comment I read in the linked 160 DX thread required 2 SCUs to implement, even the "single antenna" arrangements.

Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1734 Posts
  • 590 Reply Likes
Hi Mike,
In another post Steve mentioned they decided on the  "linked slice" method for the first pass at "simple diversity."   Since the 6300 and 6500 support multiple slices and one antenna, I wondered if that meant they were looking at something for all models.   As you noted the original thread mentioned using one antenna as a possibility also. 

It still may require 2 SCUs, I just couldn't tell for sure.  Here is a link to Steve's comments.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/diversity_reception?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%...  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1734 Posts
  • 590 Reply Likes
Mike,
Three was also one more place Steve mentioned the 6000 (and not the 6700 specifically) that made me wonder if they had a plan to address the other models....

Anyway it should be easy to resolve the question....

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Photo of Barry N1EU

Barry N1EU

• 495 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
Al, it was just meant as good-natured word playing  ;-)  

The only diversity I know implies separate antennas to each receiver, so that would require a 6700.
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1734 Posts
  • 590 Reply Likes
Hi Barry, that is what I thought....no problem....73, Al
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
The goal in basic diversity reception is to overcome multi-path fading by having one of the slice receivers able to "hear better" that the other at any given time.  In order to be "diverse" you need two independent RF signal paths.  This includes separate antennas (optimally diverse in polarity and separated by 1/2 wavelength at the operating frequency) and separate SCUs, so it is a capability only supported by the FLEX-6700.
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1734 Posts
  • 590 Reply Likes
Tim,
Thanks for the confirmation....
Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4025 Posts
  • 1248 Reply Likes
This is one of two regrets I have that I was not able to afford moving all the way to the 6700.  (The other being extended coverage to 2 meters)  But the 6500 has enough other features that my regret is not excessive.  Besides, with the money saved I was able to buy some nice antennae!