Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

93rd Anniversary First Two Way Transatlantic QSO - via F/KY6LA Remote

KY6LA_Howard
KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Greetings from Cannes, France While hams had heard the first transatlantic calls in December 1922 it was not until November 28, 1923 that Leon Deloy 8AB in Nice France and Fred Schnell 1MO in the USA make the first actual two way QSO. http://w2pa.net/HRH/the-fourth-times-the-charm/ Leon is actually commemorated for his achievement in France with a Legion de Honeur (knighthood) and the naming of a tunnel in his honor. http://www.nicerendezvous.com/tunnel-leon-deloy.html In order to commemorate this achievement I plan to operate at 55 Boulevard Mont-Boron, Nice France where this first QSO occurred. In keeping with the experimental spirit of the era, but adding a 21st century update I will remote via my iPad using SmartSDR for iOS to my Flex 6700 in La Jolla, CA I was just on 20M and it's pretty dead right now so it looks like 40M will be the money band. QRV as follows. 7.255MHz. December 7, 2016. 3:00Z to 5:00Z If it actually works and there is Q's I will also try December 8, 2016. Same time,etc I will post as many places as possible with the latest updates of times and frequencies. For you curmudgeons who think I should schlep a transceiver ..been there done that from more than a 100 countries over the past 58 years... I even did that from Nice in 2005 right below Leon's place in Nice Not anywhere as complex a challenge as remote operations can be..

Comments

• Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    you do know that 7.255 MHz is way out of band for EU right?

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    My Bad. I was trying to let some uSA Generals make a Q I will post alternative frequencies when they are set up. remember Flex 6700 is an 8 slice radio. I can do SO2R
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Paul,

I am sure as a highly experienced Ham, Howard is more than able to operate within licence conditions and CEPT rules, that is a given - I wouldn't expect anything less.

However, celebrating and reenacting a transatlantic QSO where France are not able to take part is less than ideal. They probably wont even hear him as 7.2MHz upward is a BC band here in EU - so he would likely get caned by some megawatt BC station anyway. Below 7.2MHz would be a more "globally friendly" QRG.

73 de Steve G1XOW
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Below 7.2Mhz? , not with the chinese jamming stations at work in our 40m band lately and the multi BC stations outside 7.2Mhz.
    I,ll pass.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    QRV as follows. 7.195MHz. December 7, 2016. 15:00Z to 17:00Z
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Not to be too picky, but doesn't the F/xxxxx indicate your transmitter is in France? Shouldn't you use just your US callsign since that will indicate where the transmitter is located?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Duane.

I am currently hiking up the mountain schlepping more gear then I want to
    You were absolutely correct that I should leave off the F
    However there is no standard tunicate that the operator is in one country and the transmitter is in another country

I'm probably going to use F7 /KY6LA

Which was very close to my old NATO call sign in France. By the way cleaning up this mountain is not exactly easy if you have Facebook I will probably post Facebook live
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    8AB: "He thought it quite a shame that spark was still allowed in the US—it had been banned in France...."
    Nowadays it's frequency allocations and which callsign to use being remote ;-)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.