6K trips out at even lowest power

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Solved
Now that I have the low audio on receive taken care of...I find I have another problem.
I can't transmit.
Set the rig up for cw (my most commonly used mode)
Barefoot operation. Manual antenna switch between 5K and 6K. Same paddle, just unplugged from 5K and plugged into 6K.

If
I move the RF Power slider past 2 or 3, any attempt to send cw results in
the rig tripping out as if it had no antenna. Pulsating receive, and
only way to reset is with a hard power reset.
The same thing with SSB, key the mic with the power slider advanced even slightly and same result.
I'm open to suggestions.
I made one cw qso a few months back. Since then just used it to learn how to use all the receive functions.

I use DDUt and just switch between Legacy and Signature.
The 5K and 6K each have their own 50 amp (non switching) power supplies.

A slice indicates  Red ANT 1 2.4K  USB MIC 19, Comp (not used) and Mon @ 29.
(I have a manual switch that I use to switch the 5K or 6K to the antennas)

as always, please and thank you
Bill, W9OL


Photo of Bill-W9OL

Bill-W9OL

  • 726 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

  • 1
Photo of K2CM

K2CM

  • 265 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Had a similar problem with my F3K. 10w out was the best I could get. Traced it to RF feedback. Put split ferrite cores on all leads to cure it.

Similar problem with the F6 7K. A good earth ground and ferrite, split cores fixed it.
Photo of Bill-W9OL

Bill-W9OL

  • 726 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
I of course had considered that possibility. The rig now weighs 6 # more than it's manufactured weight. (kidding but close). None of my other rigs display rfi at the same rf level.
Been at this almost 50 years so have more than a passing experience with rfi.
I will of course continue to try to solve, and that includes more ferrites. (I have a big box of them in the desk drawer). :-)))
Photo of Bill-W9OL

Bill-W9OL

  • 726 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Seems all fixed now. I went to garage and went through my box of heavy copper braid. Found one long enough with soldered lugs on each end.
Once I got that to the main copper strip mounted on the wall, it 'seems' my rfi is fixed.
Only tested barefoot, going to take a bit of planning to do all the braid routing so I run through the amp and tuner.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.