6K TX on 630M or 2200M

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
Now that these new bands are essentially here to use, is anyone getting ready to roll with their 6K on these two new bands both RX and TX?

Do the v1.11.12 and v2.0.19 version of SmartSDR already accommodate TX on those bands?

For me it will probably be a while, if ever, I will pursue TX on those bands. I have a close-by 138kV line that may preclude it. But I have done a fair amount of WSPR monitoring on 630M over the last couple years. The 6500 does very well down there on RX.

The FCC Part 5 licensed experimental stations that have been there for several years now have been easy to copy and decode with just a parallel fed 80/75/40M lowish dipole. It was no problem at all getting WSPR decodes from upwards of 2000 miles away. And the stronger signals were at least 20-40 dB above the noise and very audible. Considering how low of a power level that they run it is quite remarkable.

These two bands do come with some special conditions and considerations, so be sure to fully understand the new regs that apply to them.

Duane
N9DG
Photo of Duane  N9DG

Duane N9DG

• 74 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3916 Posts
  • 1189 Reply Likes
Yes and no.....
The power amplifiers are not designed for those frequencies, as far as I know. It would be expensive to retrofit proper bandpass filters to the power amp on the 6000.

But you can get low level output from the transverter port and use an external amplifier to step the power up to required levels.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9130 Posts
  • 3454 Reply Likes
Photo of David Livingston

David Livingston

• 119 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Possibly, I have registered with the utilities and waiting to see how they react.

Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2252 Posts
  • 874 Reply Likes
Heads up - I got my approval email today as have several others.  I'm investigating how best to amplify the Flex-6700's signal, as well as add a suitable antenna. I will be running primarily CW and JT modes on those bands.

Ria
(Edited)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3916 Posts
  • 1189 Reply Likes
Congrats, Ria. You are the first I have heard to receive authority.
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2252 Posts
  • 874 Reply Likes
Thanks Ken. I have heard from several others yesterday as well. A few got rejections as well but most were approved.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3916 Posts
  • 1189 Reply Likes
I just signed up last night, for the heck of it.  I may never assemble a station, but I want to reserve the option...

I DID hear a station on 630M last night.  But I cannot remember the full call ... WB2???/ 31.  It apparently was an experimental licencee call before the band was approved.

There were also a couple of stations sending modes that I couldn't identify or decode.  One sounded like JT9, but didn't decode.  The other was about the same bandwidth as a FT8 signal, but used a different waveform.

The only thing I heard on 137 KHz was noise!

I look forward to hearing some of you on the VLF bands.

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2252 Posts
  • 874 Reply Likes
Signing up anyway is a good move as it offers protection from future incursions.