Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6 weeks behind on a software update?

W5XZ - dan
W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
what the heck is going on ???

Answers

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    You may have missed it in the the community messages - we were told that the 0.13.10 software went for a 6-7 day testing cycle last weekend. Cooking, cooking, but not soup yet. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    no, i didn't miss it...still, it was implied, early on, that the software update cycle would be much more frequent...like 'weeks'...not months...
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    ALL my dx / contester buds are asking 'dewd, you didn't get a k3 ??' for now, my f3k was a better radio than my 6500...
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    right now, i have an NB that is marginal, and NO memory keyer...and 'the season' hasn't even started on top band....
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Yep, I have a $7500 radio with non of the basic features my $1000 has such as Vox, working NB, variable sidetone level, persistence, variable compressor level, FSK, etc. I am very disappointed we don't have these basic features in a radio that has been in development for over a year.. Jim K4JAF
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    ... And you are operating a development phase rig for which the hardware and software update warranties clock is not running. I am still waiting patiently for "the call" for my 6500 and will be glad to play with it early as a "pre-release" product while helping FRS perfect the software. Seems to me that will be much preferable to sitting on my backside waiting without a radio for them to be "ready for prime time."
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Perhaps those with remorse about being a participant in the Preview Edition program should have a direct private conversation with FlexRadio Systems? I for one am peeved at the moaning by folks who voluntarily entered into a program, rather than waiting for the finished product they apparently actually want. Raining on everyone else parade and constantly jabbing at the FRS team for failure to satisfy an individuals personal agenda simply falls far short of the spirit of being an early tester. Had to be said. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    All I am asking for is the "basic" items that every radio manufacturer has on their radios be supplied on the 6000 series when "prime time" arrives sometime in the future. It certainly appears those basic items will not be included when the SmartSDR 1.0 rolls out. Perhaps they will be in that release, but how do we know when Flex will not tell us what they will try to include. Seriously considering selling the 6700 here and buying another 2-3 down the road when the software is finished. Jim K4JAF
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    How much?
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Please reply direct to me, doesn't need to be on reflector.. jcox123@bellsouth.net Jim
  • N4AB
    N4AB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    The official release note on Version 0.12.17 from Tim was sent out 26 days ago. That is not even 4 weeks. Give FRS a break, they were right up front telling us that the radio was still in development and the software was far from done. And we all eagerly said "send us the radio". All of a sudden we don't understand why its not at the same stage of development as the "great" 5000. Come on these are the same people that produced the 5000, but it took about 8 years. Think of what the 6700 could be in that lenght of time. Constant bitching about something we accepted and knew about before hand is useless and certainly non productive. Not to mention the negative and depressing effect it must be having on the very people we are counting on to make our $4000 to $8000 investment pay off. Sorry if this note upsets anyone, but I had to say it outloud. Al N4AB
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    My preview radio is supposed to ship in a few days. And the production release of SDR V1.0 is targeted (planned, or whatever you would like to call it) for September. So I would expect it to at least function correctly with the basic features at that point. Even if SDR V1.0 is delayed another month that's okay with me but I hope we don't have to wait 8 years. I'm sure that is not what was meant. So I'll have my radio at the point where it is "released." If it doesn't meet basic expectations, I hope it is okay to express concerns, dissapointment, etc here once the production release is out. I haven't felt FRS is discouraging that but it seems there is pushback in some of the posts. If honest feedback is not wanted here, let me know and I'll refrain. Regards, Al
  • Ed baker
    Ed baker Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    All that are complaining have the right. Fast and furious it,s not. Fun radio so far it is. If flex would have stated that the software would be slow I am sure a load of us would not be here. And complaining about missing the greatest radio out there. It would be easier on us all if the software was faster Ed Baker Np2g
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2017
    Rest assured that we hear your concern. Some of our preview folks had expectations that were not met. Some of those expectations were assumed, but nevertheless, we recognize that it is our responsibility to set the expectations and then meet them. Whatever failures there have been on the communication and expectation front, please believe that we here at FlexRadio are committed to bringing you the best product we know how, and we're working hard to do just that. Thanks for your patience.
  • Kirk, K6KAR
    Kirk, K6KAR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I understand that Preview Released SW is not the final product. However, even (as previously reported), SDR version 1.0 , won't even have the features that are advertised. As an example, several issues of QST (including the current), have shown Flex Radio advertisement's. These ads clearly state capability for the 6700, "up to 8 receiver slices." Unless these capabilities are in effect when SDR version 1.0 is released, then it appears there is a violation of Federal Trade commission laws. Further, the online brochure that Flex Radio has been touting for a longtime clearly states "imagine networking as forethought, not afterthought...Networking is at the heart of the new FLEX-6000 Signature Series radios. From across the shack or across the world, these new radios are designed with the latest networking capabilities." Will it be available at version 1.0? This is only a couple of the inference'd examples. To be very clear, I've been an advocate and user of Flex Radio products for a very long time. I do feel that the Flex-6000 series will eventually be what we are all looking for. At this point, they don't meet my expectations and to state it further, a big disappointment. Kirk, K6KAR
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    1. v0.13.10 is being packaged for Preview release as we speak. 2. Constructive criticism is welcomed. We are constantly working to improve our processes and communications. 3. Grumbling won't make us cut corners in our QA process, which we have previously described on more than one occasion here and in the Flex Insider. 4. We clearly communicated that the Preview release is not feature complete and will have bugs. 5. We have a plan to make SmartSDR feature complete AND to give you cool new capabilities you never dreamed were possible. Stay tuned.
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I can assure you there is not a person with a 6000 radio who would not like to have it fully functioning. i am one of them, but I had my unit delieved knowing it was a work in process and have had one update which still left the radio far short of where i want to be. I feel the road will be a long one but with each rest area stop our radios will get better and better. I can remember my children from the back seat saying, "are we there yet" and as you know they would do that every ten miniutes. So yes we all have the right to ask are we there yet but remeber your children still loved you when you told them, no son but were sre getting closer! Well folks I feel we will get closer and as time goes on it will be moving faster than it is now. When you build a building the foundation is the most important part of the the building. And unlike my trip with my children i might reach my goal of having a radio that surpases the best of the others out there but it will also keep moving to new destinations that are not even planed by other radios. I saw an article by Kenwood on the new TS 990 , a great radio. It said 6 years in the planning, think how long this radio has been planned. do you want to do like all the kenwood lovers (i was one of them) and go 14 years between the ts 95sdx and the ts 990! I am eagerly waiting the next release but in the meantime i talk on my rig everynight.
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    bugs in 12.17 WERE being reported on July 6...on the prior e-mai list...
  • VA7LWE
    VA7LWE Member
    edited August 2013
    I'm still a sweet and innocent brand new flex customer - so have yet to form any meaningful or lasting impressions of the company and its execution. It seems to be true that there has been some slippage compared to certain expectations of the schedule for a complete hardware/software system as set out when the product was announced. Nevertheless, we are early adopters and hopefully it was obvious that there might be schedule risks for a small company with an ambitious project. In any case, personally I'm in this because of the sheer potential of the 6x00, assuming Flex can continue to execute - rather than having some particular deadline for a list of features that were originally mooted. Personally, I would like Flex Radio to build in quality and depth first, before feature breadth - though clearly there are tradeoffs to be made and that's tough with a small team. Admittedly, the 6700 isn't my only HF rig, so that's certainly a factor in my perspective. What I do hope is that when the fundamentals are done and done solidly, then we'll really see those "capabilities you never dreamed possible". I guess we'll see, but it's not hard to imagine a lot of exciting possibilities. As a software exec myself, I'm well acquainted with both the amazing possibilities that ought to lie in this product's future, given its design, but also the difficulties of running a complex project with a lot of moving parts. Aside from development, the Flex business does have to navigate the market and its customer expectations, so hopefully they can continue to strike a good balance going forward, tricky though this may be!
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'm not sure if those comments are directed at me, personally, or not. If so, show me where I have "constantly" jabbed at FRS..and 'rained on everyone else's parade'... I've had my rig since late June. It HAS been > 6 weeks since 12.17 came out. I know 12.20 was a flop, but not because i'm an internal beta tester.. I HAVE tried to offer constructive criticism and feedback. ALL < I > wanted to know is WHY we've been stuck with 12.17 so long...hopefully, 13.20 will be a 'quantum leap'... If you think this is 'moaning' it's not. I understand, FRS people need to take some time off, now and then, too... in my case, the software / firmware HAD updated very quickly, initially. like, my rig was shipped on monday and by delivery on wednesday, there was an update... with another update soon thereafter.. also, "HAD to be said" i have no 'remorse' either 73, w5xz
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    well stated, kirk....i'm a huge Flex fan, too...yet, clearly, marketing is WAY ahead of engineering....
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I was able to download and install 12.17 on 6/30/2013....'constant bitching' ???
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Time, Time, Time, here are Expert Electronics(http://sunsdr.com/en/products/9-transceiver/33-the-ducddc-hvvhfsunsdr2-transceiver.html), they took half a year(after start delivery) with ready to use GUI, in any way lets look into the upcoming ugrade for time estimation with GUI completion, i assume ver 1.0 must meet in basic with advertisements.
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    "1. v0.13.10 is being packaged for Preview release as we speak. " Friday release? :-)
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Never mind... I just got the call Thursday that my 6500 is shipping in a day or two...
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'm checking the site way too often while at work ;-)
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    me too !!!
This discussion has been closed.