Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6700/SSB/Wow!

K2CM
K2CM Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
In the past, I have had difficulty working DX on SSB. Not much luck, so I normally work CW where I have a lot of success. This past weekend I worked mostly SSB on 10, 15, 20 meters. If I could her 'em, I could work 'em! The receiver is fantastic. Heard lots of weak DX stations that I would not have heard before. I got many compliments on my audio! Worked Bahrain and Morocco on SSB! Much praise to Flex!

Comments

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    "The receiver is fantastic. Heard lots of weak DX stations that I would not have heard before." Ditto! Working with a space limited single tower and single long-wire, I would describe the effect of adding the Flex-6700 SmartSDR as a drop in listening fatigue, an ability to pull-out DX at noise level and an ability work DX on bands my Flex-5000A doesn't hear the stations that the Flex-6700 can work. Kudos to FRS! 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Come on folks....this may have something to do with band conditions too. :) They have been pretty spectacular lately....though better during the CQWW than this past sweepstakes weekend. I'm not knocking anything....just pointing things out. :) 73 Greg
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    @Greg - the band conditions play nicely to BOTH my Flex-5000A and the new Flex-6700, so it is a level playing field. Presently I do have to swap feedlines (and of course one runs PowerSDR and the other SmartSDR), though soon I will have the W2IHY multi-transceiver switch gear in place allowing A-B-C comparisons of three rigs by switching. Much of what I am experiencing is subjective - the ease of listen especially. But it is noticeable and I am able to use a monitor speaker for DX with the 6700 I would have had to use a headset to pick out with the 5000. With the 5000 I could tell there was a station there where I get to work them wit the 6700. of course YMMV, though if your experience is different it does not invalidate what I'm observing, does it? 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have noticed that I occasionally get frustrated trying to copy a weak signal on what seems a quiet band, until I realize just how weak the signal really IS! Then I am amazed at this receiver! I am getting Q5 copy on signals that my old TS-850 didn't even know was there. And tuning SSB or CW using the wide pan is like moving from driving a car looking through a peephole to driving a convertible with unobstructed panoramic view! The user experience is wonderful, it is very nice to know what is happening around you.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Absolutely not Steve. I did not get from the post that a comparison was being done in real time. I took it as the 6700 is hearing better DX than the radio being used before....I took that as the radio being used before getting the 6700....not as an A-B comparison. Take a look at the W8ZR Station Pro 2 over the W2IHY (gotta build it though). It will allow you to switch three radios, three amps and all your control I/O from the one unit. I have the SP-1 which is for two radios to switch between the K3 and 6700. 73 Greg
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    The W8ZR is a fine set up - I passed on it for a personal lack of build time and the confidence I have in Julian W2IHY's gear. http://www.w2ihy.com/one-3-x-1-controller-two-1-x-4-switches.html plus the http://www.w2ihy.com/audio-switches.html is what settled on. 73 Steve K9ZW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.