Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6700 Just keeps on Running

Roger Rockwell/na4rr
Roger Rockwell/na4rr Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I don't know if I should report this as a problem or if its a new feature.  Didn't see it in the release notes.  This has happened a couple of times but I don't know what to do to reproduce. 
Flex 6700  SSDR 1.2.17.  Win 7

I'll have the radio on running SSDR 24/7 and all is working fine.  I come come back to the shack after being gone as much as a day.  The radio is still working but SSDR is gone from the computer.  My SSRD icon is gone.  I open Task Manager and SSDR is not there.  I turn the computer off but radio is still running.  I even remove the cat 5 from radio to computer.  The radio  works even xmits with no computer.  If the display on the front of the radio would read the freq and mode I would actually like this.  I have thought that it would be a good option to set everything up and then be able to disconnect the computer.  Of course if I power down the radio all goes back to normal.

Roger

Comments

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    This is a known problem that was supposed to have been fixed in the latest release update. Like you I still have the same issue so it was not fixed.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

Maybe this feature is a hidden prelude when the radio will be a stand-alone remote. I love the frequency readout idea.

Jim, K6QE

• Roger Rockwell/na4rr
    edited February 2017
    OK and thanks for the reply.  That's what I get for not keeping up with the Community for the last couple of months and not digging into past posts.  Like I said I would actually like it if you could do it on demand.  I could see it being handy to be able to set the radio up as an emergency radio on a set freq with no computer..

roger
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I was playing with an older XP machine when that happened to me on the previous release. I thought it was pretty cool to be able to receive with no computer. So all we need is a front panel. I recall the TenTec Pegasus....Then they decided to put a front panel on it. Originally it was called the Pegasus FP but changed to Jupiter upon release. 
    Steve N4LQ
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    We have this issue listed in our bug tracker. 

Since the radio's operating software is completely "self contained", it does not require to have SmartSDR connected and running to operate.  If SmartSDR is crashing, I'd look at your PC for a possible reason.  Such as is it going to sleep or hibernating?  Did Windows do an update and force reboot the computer?  We just don't have many reports of SmartSDR for Windows crashing when left idle unless there is a PC problem of some sort.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Check your power saving settings...ethernet card, WiFi port, disk drive, or USB port powering down, as well as virus protection scans, windows update auto-reboot, etc. may all be sources of difficulty, especially the ethernet port and auto-rebooting updates and virus scans, which caused me some difficulty a while back.
  • Roger Rockwell/na4rr
    edited February 2017
    Yes I am sure something in the computer is "going to sleep"  I just haven't tracked it down beyond the normal stuff. I just had not experienced SSDR going completely away and the  radio still playing.   My Win 8 laptop is worse The panadapter will still show on it. but locked.  I have turned off everything I can find that times out or goes to sleep.  Hard drive always on, no screen saver, performance high, display always on. Sleep-never, Hybrid sleep-off,  Hibernate-never,Allow wake timer-disable, usb suspend setting- disabled,  Lid closed-do nothing, Multimedia setting-prevent idling to sleep, low battery action-do nothing.  I have Windows auto update turned off. 

roger

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.