6700 won't bootup

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
6700 has latest software installed.  It has been working until today.  Now it won't power up.  The internal 30 fuse is good.  Any ideas what has happened?
Photo of Marvin

Marvin

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3787 Posts
  • 913 Reply Likes
Check and make sure the case fans are coming on. What have you tried so far?
Photo of Marvin

Marvin

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
When power is applied to rear jack nothing happens.  Remote is turned on in the settings and normally just applying power causes it to boot.

The fan is not running.
Photo of Marvin

Marvin

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Does the fan normally come on when the unit boots or will the fans come on by just applying power to the rear jack?
Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 755 Posts
  • 153 Reply Likes
you don't by chance have the (Remote ON) in the settings window for remote power switching enabled do you?
if you think you might short the inside connector on the RCA jack marked Remote power on the back of the radio and see if the radios starts to power up.

73's
Bret
WX7Y
Photo of Marvin

Marvin

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes the remote setting is on and a shorted RCA plug is in the remote jack.  It does not boot when power is applied.
Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 924 Posts
  • 217 Reply Likes
Have you tried a reboot? Hold the OK button down while depressing the "ON" botton at the same time?
Photo of Marvin

Marvin

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes.  That does nothing.  Still won't boot.
Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 924 Posts
  • 217 Reply Likes
Are you sure that you are getting 13.8 VDC to the input of the radio? I have had the rear power connector on my radio slip loose once when I thought it was properly connected.
(Edited)
Photo of Marvin

Marvin

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes.  I measured 13.6 volts.
Photo of Danny K5CG

Danny K5CG

• 343 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
When I apply power to me 6300 (maybe same for the other models) the power button flashes green once. Are you seeing that? Maybe if it is not is an indication of something.
Photo of Marvin

Marvin

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Neither the green light or the screen do anything.
Photo of Kevin

Kevin

• 931 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
You're certain there is power at the PS and at the end of the power cord? I think with these radios if it's not external or the fuse then the next step is the help desk.

I never knew just applying power causes the rig to boot when remote is on. I always have to press that button. Are you using some sort external control to power up the rig for remote use? Can you isolate that for testing?

Good luck and 73,
Kev K4VD
(Edited)
Photo of Marvin

Marvin

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
You have to have the remote jack jumped and the remote setting on.
Photo of Paul - K6HR

Paul - K6HR

• 105 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I had a similar problem once. The power supply showed 13.8v but did not deliver enough current to run the Flex. Have you tried a different power supply?
Photo of Dan -- KC4GO

Dan -- KC4GO

• 340 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
Looks like you have had all the advice the community can give I suggest a Help Desk call first thing Monday.  Good Luck.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3787 Posts
  • 913 Reply Likes
Are there any signs of power at all? lights?
Photo of Marvin

Marvin

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No lights and no fan. Does not respond to OK hold plus power on button. See power at radio side of fuse.
Photo of Bill W2PKY

Bill W2PKY

• 507 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Any chance there is a smaller fuse somewhere for the low level electronics?
Photo of Kevin

Kevin

• 931 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Oops. Misread.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
Bill, there is a smaller fuse protecting the TRX board, but if it is blown and the main fuse is not, then we need to get the radio in for service to determine why it blew rather than risking possible damage. 
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
Official Response
Marvin's radio is going to require service and he has already be issued an RMA to facilitate the repair.