6700 power output

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • In Progress
My 6700 only puts out 79watts on 15m (21.100) and only 70watts on 20m (14.090).
I am using a 40amp supply which shows 14.00 volts both on receive and max tuning drive.
The output is being fed through my Acom 2kA (which is off) to a Steppir antenna which has an SWR below 1.3 on all bands.  Output is being measured by an Array Solutions  PowerMaster II.
The power supply cable is the one that came with the 6700 .
So why is the 6700 so low in output and how can I improve it.?

Regards
Ross
ZL1WN
Photo of Ross Biggar

Ross Biggar

• 130 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 679 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
The difference between 79 and 100 watts is 1.02 dBm. I suspect if you ran the test on a short piece of coax into a good dummy load it would be much closer to 100 watts. Regardless, I wouldn't worry about it. If you need more power turn on the Acom:)

Jon...kf2e
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 757 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
I also agree that the difference is not much between 79 and 100 watts.  The point is - the rig is advertised as 100 watts and mine doesn't come close to that either.  I remember the day when rigs stated 100 watts ouput and they would normally run just a tad over that.  The other thing lacking is decent microphone amplification.  I run a PR40 and have to have everything turned up as far as it will go just to get adequate ouput from my mic. The recommendation was to buy an external mic preamp.  One shouldn't have to do that.  It just adds more wires boxes and clutter.   I love the Flex and won't get rid of mine, but a true 100 watts output and a decent microphone amp built into the rig would have made me a much happier camper.  Any why in the world no speaker amp built in?   Take it into the field and you have to bring along powered speakers or be tied to a headset. 
(Edited)
Photo of Dale KB5VE

Dale KB5VE

• 415 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
The choice of the Pr 40 is one you made . I have owned the PR40 for six years and I realize it takes a larger amount of mic gain to drive. I have run it on the sdr 1000. 3000 and 5000 now on the 6500. I did not like turning the 20db boost on and running the mic gain to 90%. I talked to Tim and I advise you do also. Tim pointed out the more gain in the DSP for the mic increases the chance of artifacts that will cause your audio to sound bad. I have a friend who owns a recording studio and he advised that was totally true. He does not use the DSP in his equipment to get the mic level up. He uses a mic preamp, in fact he recommended one with the tube. This is what Tim dos aid, I bought one a installed it set the eq and I run 13 on the mic gain and the 20db boost off.

Others say my audio is great. Running 1500 watts I have no rfi. Myy preamp sits on top of my 6500.
Photo of Ross Biggar

Ross Biggar

• 130 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Dale, what make of preamplifier do you use?
Regards
Ross
Photo of Ross Biggar

Ross Biggar

• 130 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks for the emails, I did check with a known 50ohm load on a short piece of coax, and still not 100watts.
I think the analogy is similar to, if you have paid for a Ferrari that will do 200mph and it only does
140mph, you have a cause for concern.
Is there a way to calibrate the power output, and is there a software algorithm that controls the power output.?
Regards
Ross
ZL1WN
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1782 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
90% of the times lower power output is due to inconsistent contact in the power leads. Not sure if it is your case but is worth checking all the power cables and connection before considering sending it in to Austin.
Photo of Mike KD2CJJ

Mike KD2CJJ

• 122 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Does the radio power meter and your external power meter say the same thing? J agree with the dirty connectors... On my old ICOM it was the socket fuses. Once cleaned power came back
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 448 Posts
  • 189 Reply Likes
I am sure the specification is nominal 100 watts ...
Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 780 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
I have a 6700 on order and just curious.  How many Flex owners are seeing 100 watts into a dummy load?
Photo of Mike KD2CJJ

Mike KD2CJJ

• 122 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
No issues with 100 watts here on my 6300 on ALL bands.
Photo of Cal Spreitzer

Cal Spreitzer

• 447 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
In case anyone is interested,  here are the results for my 6300 using a LP-100A Wattmeter into a 50ohm load:  (Tune Pwr:100W, Tune Tone used).

160m - 90.1 W
80m   - 96.0 W
60m   - 97.1 W
40m   - 94.5 W
30m   - 99.6 W
20m   - 99.5 W
17m   - 94.2 W
15m   - 97.1 W
12m   - 93.2 W
10m   - 93.7 W
6m     - 90.7 W

The LP-100A shows slight differences in SWR between bands (36" jumpers)

Cal/N3CAL 
Photo of Mike KD2CJJ

Mike KD2CJJ

• 122 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Try it with the tuner off and see results.
Photo of Chris Tate  - N6WM

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 934 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes

Im trying to remember my support case on my 6500 where I was concerned about some lower power readings.  I think flex support said 90 watts and above was in spec... ill verify the case and share what was sad.

Photo of Chris Tate  - N6WM

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 934 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes

Tim Ellison April 06, 2015 04:43

Chris,

We rate our radios at 100W nominal output on all bands. Anything less than 90W is out of that range, so your radio is operating within accepted parameters. If you notice the power decreasing and it is below 90W, please open a new HelpDesk ticket and we will investigate further.

Photo of Reggie-k6xr

Reggie-k6xr

• 413 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
With my 6500, SSDR power meter shows 80 watts on some bands and 85 watts on others into a dummy load. i then put a power meter between the radio and dummy load and it shows 100+ watts on all bands.  The indicator in SSDR is  off in indicating power output on my 6500. But I know it is achieving rated output.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3549 Reply Likes
Official Response
I have changed this post to a problem topic and converted this topic to a support HelpDesk ticket (http://helpdesk.flexradio.com) for expedited issue resolution.  If anyone else is experiencing an issue similar to this one, please submit a HelpDesk support ticket for issue resolution.