Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6700 on data modes

Jon D Hague
Jon D Hague Member
6700 on PSK31 JT9 etc

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Flgigi and WSJT-X
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    What is your question? -- 73, Ray, K9DUR
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Works great. Have made thousands of digital contacts 160-2M. Question?
  • Jon D Hague
    Jon D Hague Member
    edited October 2019
    Trying to set up data modes on 6700 namely JT65 JT9 PSK31need a step by step installation guide ..check list
    Looked at facebook ideos but the displayed screens contain too many bits of data and assume too much .
    Not able to interconnect output of 6700 to say JT65 program or get the program to send via output of JT65 to activate 6700
    Increasingly frustrated by plethora of Com ports; DAX, CAT; Slices  etc
    Please untangle me
  • Jon D Hague
    Jon D Hague Member
    edited August 2016
    I would if I could likewise
    Trying to set up data modes on 6700 namely JT65 JT9 PSK31need a step by step installation guide ..check list
    Looked at facebook ideos but the displayed screens contain too many bits of data and assume too much .
    Not able to interconnect output of 6700 to say JT65 program or get the program to send via output of JT65 to activate 6700
    Increasingly frustrated by plethora of Com ports; DAX, CAT; Slices  etc
    Please untangle me
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    this covers JT65/9 Ok download WSJT-X , once downloaded and installed open WSJT-X and open settings F2 under the Audio tab select your setting for DAX stuff, This assuming you have set all the CAT settings.

Jim
    WU5E

• James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I also use JTAlert-X which is so slick and logs everything into my A/C LOG
    Jim
    WU5E
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ha! I understand, Jon. It can be very daunting at first.

Let's start simple.

One panadapter open, one slice. 

Have DAX Control Panel open.

Select DAX stream 1 from RX Streams - it should go from gray to yellow.

Select DAX from your slice "flag", then Channel 1. This connects that slice receiver to DAX channel 1.

You should see RX stream 1 (DAX control panel) turn blue and indicate "Slice A" and "Streaming."

Adjust the slider midway or so. You can even go all the way - at this point, too much audio is not a problem, since we're just setting up.

Start your digital mode software, and ensure Audio IN is set to DAX Channel 1 -- NOT to a "Reserved" channel. Never use a reserved channel in any configuration. 

Ensure your software is in the "monitor" or "receive" mode so that it's processing signals. Most have an indicator showing there is input signal. Don't worry about the levels yet.

Tune your rig to an appropriate frequency. For the sake of argument, I'm going to say 14070 for PSK31. JT-modes are similar, but require accurate timing, and that's another thing to worry about right now. PSK31 will decode if your clock is set to anything, so it's an easier setup. 14070 is a good place to listen for PSK31.

Set the mode to DIGU. Almost all digital modes use this. RTTY is an outlier, and can be addressed once you have all the rest working. 

Set the bandwidth (same tab) to either 3 or 5 kHz).

For simplicity's sake, set your AGC to FAST (speaker icon in slice flag, bottom slider), and set it to 50. Better results can be had with AGC OFF and different slider settings, but, again, we're just getting you going now.

The speaker audio setting can be set to your taste, or turned off entirely. Your software is listening to DAX.

If all's well, and folks are on the air, , you should see traces on your software's waterfall. Adjust the DAX RX stream (DAX control panel) for your software's suggested audio level. Your waterfall should become clearer.

You're now good to listen!

(more in a bit)
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Transmit settings:

You're almost there! Most of the receive settings have you in a very good place for transmitting. This will be an easy part.

In the DAX control panel, check the TX Stream (topmost) setting. Press the TX button if it is gray. It should turn yellow. Set the slider about halfway. 

In your digital software, set the transmit source to DAX TX. There is only one DAX TX - whatever slice is selected for transmit will look to this channel. Again, no using the "reserved" channels. 

Back in Smart SDR, look at the P/CW tab on the right side of the screen. You may need to select it from the top if it's not showing, or scroll down to it. It's the one with the "Level" and "Compression" meters. In the lower right, it has a button marked DAX. Click it to turn it blue. DAX audio will now be connected to your transmitter.

In DAX Control Panel, the TX stream should also report "streaming" and have turned blue.

In your digital mode software, generate a TUNE signal. Most applications have provision to generate a pure tone. You should see the TX Stream meter on the DAX control panel deflect. At this point, you're likely not transmitting. That's okay.

Next step: ON THE AIR!

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Transmitting!

There are a couple ways of turning on your transmitter while operating digital.

The simplest is probably just by using VOX. It's in the PHNE tab. You may need to tweak the sensitivity a bit, and keep the delay above the point where your relays chatter.

That'll get you going!

Smart CAT is an amazing tool that allows you to control your rig and send PTT commands without having to worry about VOX settings. Once you're comfortable with the way the rig works, come back to it and set it up. 

In short, Smart CAT sets up your first COM port automatically. You don't need to do anything else. It's usually COM4. In your digital program, set CAT control to use KENWOOD TS2000 protocol on COM4. Use all default settings.  Allow "PTT via CAT" if presented with that option.

The "gotcha" here is that if you use more than one CAT-enabled program AT THE SAME TIME, you need to create additional COM ports and assign unique ones to each application. It's a good thing to do anyway even if you don't use simultaneous apps, but not strictly necessary.
  • Jon D Hague
    Jon D Hague Member
    edited August 2016
    My problem is that I cannot get past DAX control panel  v.7.30.160 which reports driver error.. may be caused by logitec keyboard and radio mouse grabbing com ports
  • Jon D Hague
    Jon D Hague Member
    edited March 2017
    very useful but stuck on DAX control panel Error
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    COM ports and DAX have nothing to do with each other. Search the Community for W4TME's excellent guide to doing a complete removal and re installation of your Flex software. Start fresh. Follow Tim's instructions to the letter - don't skip any steps or take them out of order.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    If you have DAX errors, I recommend submitting a support ticket via our HelpDesk (http://helpdesk.flexradio.com) so we can assign you a case number.  For details on how to submit a HelpDesk support ticket, please refer to the following URL: http://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202118688-How-to-Submit-a-Request-for-Technical-Supp...   Once the support ticket is submitted, a support engineer will be in contact so we can work on the issue.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016

Excellent and simple explanation George...

However, I noticed that he has the same error that I had with CAT and Dudley resolved that issue.

Hopefully, he'll follow through and submits a help desk request.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.