6700 MW Reception

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
With the pan adapter on my 6700 opened to several MHz, I see a 30 dB or so peak in the signals from 0.5 to 1.5 MHz with brick wall drops on either side. Is this a design feature of the radio?
Photo of Mark Erbaugh

Mark Erbaugh

• 424 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Stan - VA7NF

Stan - VA7NF

• 447 Posts
  • 103 Reply Likes
I see the same thing - it's called the AM broadcast band.  My case is slightly different with a BC band filter in LoopA so now there is a dip in signals across this portion.  It also eliminates some front end mixing of 0dbm BC band signals.
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 947 Posts
  • 258 Reply Likes
Looks a little like this?
(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
It is all of the RF from the AM broadcast band.
Photo of Stan - VA7NF

Stan - VA7NF

• 447 Posts
  • 103 Reply Likes

That pattern is not random enough for normal signal reception. 

Your image does not show the signal levels at 1300 and 1400.  If these two signals mix in the 6000 front end or with noise it will present a similar spectrum display.  That is why I have a BC filter inline when in "WIDE" mode in BC/MW range.

Tim, is there a way to handle 0dbm signals without mixing?

Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
Salvador - the answer to your question is no.  When WIDE is disabled, that means a preselector is enabled.  
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
Mark - there is a lot of RF energy in that particular band segment from the low and high powered AM broadcast stations.  It is a channelized band with no gaps between the channels - just spacing of the adjacent channel stations geographically as to not interfere with each other.  With a very sensitive receiver, this is the effect you get visually when observing the AM BC band.
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1780 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
Thanks Tim. It was more curiosity than a feature request. 
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
QSL
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4187 Posts
  • 1333 Reply Likes
Mark.  You can certainly see this effect when you zoom in.  10 kHz spacing with stations with 5 kHz audio (x2=10kHz bandwidth) means the audio sidebands will just touch each other, or even overlap slightly if TX filtering isn't brick-wall, leaving effectively NO space between stations for the signal levels to return to baseline.  Actually the new BCB baseline is the accumulated RF noise of multiple stations on each frequency, even if none of them is strong enough to demodulate.  It is actually somewhat mesmerizing to watch the signals dance on the panadapter at night....if you have nothing better to do!