6700 Losing Connection Frequently

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
Trying to decide if I have a radio issue or computer issue - tending strongly to the later opinion but would like to hear if others have similar experiences.  My 6700/computer combo has become increasingly unstable. Seems to have become worse in just the last couple of weeks.  During the CW SS and last weekend's CQ WW CW, SSDR would lose connection every 15-30 minutes. Have not found a certain situation when it will happen, but frequently it is during or shortly after switching to another global profile; however, it also happens randomly when nothing much is going on.

Based on earlier posts, the NIC in my computer is suspect. The computer is pretty heavy duty i7, 16GB, SSD, etc.  However, it only has the Intel NIC chipset on the motherboard.  I do see some latency from it with Latency Monitor.  Have slowed it down from 1 GBs to 100 MBs.  Still had problems.  Now, have changed it to half duplex, and the system is a lot more stable, but still has an occasional disconnect.

Any of this sound familiar?  Appreciate thoughts on what NIC card is worth buying to replace the Intel version.

BTW - anymore I am a pretty casual contester, but the Flex with N1MM was a joy in SS and CQWW.

Thanks for any help.

73, Tom K1FR
Photo of K1FR

K1FR

• 109 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9148 Posts
  • 3466 Reply Likes
First off, if you are uisng v1.3.8, we inadvertently introduced an unintended behavior with keepalives that might be responsible for this.  If you revert back to v1.3.0 and the behavior improves, that could be the reason.  

If it doesn't then you need to look at your network.  Intel makes a fairly decent NIC, so I'd make sure the drivers are up to date first. (get the ones directly from Intel rather than the motherboard vendor if possible)

Other than the NIC, what are the other elements that comprise your network?  I'd suspect the Ethernet switch and possibly the Ethernet cabling assuming that the end-to-end connection from PC to radio is entirely wired. Some consumer Ethernet switches (and routers) have been prone to dropped packets especially if the Green Ethernet option is enabled.

These HelpDesk Assistance Center articles may be helpful:

http://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202118748-Optimal-Win7-High-Performance-Power-Option...

http://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202118518-Optimizing-Ethernet-Adapter-Settings-for-M...
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
Most "Green" managed switches are smart enough to allow you to shutdown the Green featres
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9148 Posts
  • 3466 Reply Likes
Howard beat me too it ;-)
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 638 Posts
  • 189 Reply Likes
I use a "green" unmanaged switch and I have never had a problem with a disconnect while using the radio. I have had the radio disconnect when I leave it running over night. Most of the time when I just leave it running for a long time it not only is disconnected but SSDR has died. My solution is to turn it off and save the electricity when I'm not there. It only takes me a couple minutes to boot and get all my apps running.

I realize this might be a problem for remote operation but I figure I will work the issues as they are important to me.

Jon...kf2e
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9148 Posts
  • 3466 Reply Likes
(Edited)
Photo of K1FR

K1FR

• 109 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Well, looks like I am on the wrong side of "most" again.   My green card is a basic model (one my IT guys were tossing at work a few years ago).  Tried the D-Link control console to get into it, but apparently it is not supported as one of their "smart" switches.  :)  Oh well, radio is working most of the time.  Hoping v1.4 SSDR will fix things.  Thanks again for the suggestions.  Still need to look at Tim's links to be sure I might find a fix.
Photo of Joe - KC2TN

Joe - KC2TN

• 96 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
I've noticed this disconecting event happening more frequently recently. Usually if I leave the radio on and SSDR running, a disconnect occurs after a long period of inactivity, like overnight! A simple reconnect cures the problem. The radio did not need a restart.. I assume if this is a 1.3.8 issues it will be fixed in 1.4..
Photo of Larry da Ponte

Larry da Ponte

• 159 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
The disconnects happen for me with a direct connection to the computer. I think the radio is too eager to disconnect. I notice it more often at the moment when I open a new slice.
Photo of Joe - KC2TN

Joe - KC2TN

• 96 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
I've never had a disconnect happen while operating , only after letting the radio sit awhile and I return to find I've been cutoff! Maybe I need a few more tokens? I'm running the 6500 via a switch.