6700 Logger 32 com issue

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
New 6700 set-up and all works great except L32 . CAT is configured and an FTDI USB cable is used. L32 gets the current band, mode and frequency data from the Flex all ok....BUT it wont **send data to the Flex** . When I click a spot in L32, the radio does not respond.
I have tried various CAT profiles.....Kenwood, PowerSDR, TS-2000 etc. and they all show the same problem.... they get data ok from the Flex,  but no communication to the radio.

Anyone else had this issue?

The Flex is at my remote so I cant check the cable now, but my plan is next time i go there to confirm that the serial cable has the proper pin-out for the RX-TX lines. Obviously at least one is correct.

de steve ve6wz.
Photo of VE6WZ

VE6WZ

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of Jim K4JAF

Jim K4JAF

• 340 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
No problem here with Logger32 and Flex 6600. Works perfectly.  Using PowerSDR as radio profile.

Photo of Craig - KØCF

Craig - KØCF

• 139 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
I think you may be confused about interfacing the 6700 to a logging program on your PC. You do NOT need a physical cable connected to the USB connectors on the 6700. Rather, you configure SmartSDR CAT to define a "virtual" COM port, which connects to the Logging program entirely internal to the PC.  Again, NO CABLE IS USED.

You can define several different types of ports: CAT, PTT, or WinKey. Please see the SmartSDR CAT user guide that  you can download from the Flex web site.

Photo of VE6WZ

VE6WZ

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Craig, I  do all of my logging AT the remote location on the PC located there so I need CAT data on that machine. Also, the Flex radio drives the MicroHam Station Master which needs the CAT data to drive my complex antenna switching.
Photo of Craig - KØCF

Craig - KØCF

• 139 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Yes, that is exactly what SmartSDR CAT will do. It works on either the local PC on the same LAN as the radio, or on a remote PC over Smart Link. And you can have multiple CAT ports defined and they will all work simultaneously. So you can have CAT driving a logger and another program such as WSJT-X at the same time on two different virtual COM ports.  Note, however, that DAX will not work over Smart Link, only on a local LAN.

I can use my notebook running a logging program remotely via Smart Link, or my station PC locally using SmartSDR CAT on both, and everything works virtually the same. Of course, only one can connect at a time!

The Station Master CAT data can come from the USB on the Flex. That is what the USB there is intended for, and for such things as selecting bands on your linear amplifier, which is how I control my Elecraft KPA-1500. But the logging software should use SmartSDR CAT for connection to the radio. For antenna switching, I use the Antenna Genius, which connects via Ethernet on your local LAN -- no USB CAT port required.

Photo of Jim K4JAF

Jim K4JAF

• 340 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
Craig is correct in his comments.  No need to use any other cable for Logger32, just use the CAT data with a virtual port defined.  I do use a FTDI USB cable to drive a relay  board to switch antennas.  
Photo of VE6WZ

VE6WZ

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks Craig! Thats good stuff. You are correct that I didn't realize that SmartSDR CAT would be able to communicate to a virtual cable on a PC that is not using the Flex Radio. I will configure today.
Photo of VE6WZ

VE6WZ

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
All working great now. Literally it took less than 2 minutes to set up virtual CAT. Thanks!
Photo of ON7NQ - Danny

ON7NQ - Danny

• 23 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Guess I'm in the same boat Steve.
I don't use the FTDI cable but all is done thru SmartCat.
So you may need to check SmartCat , maybe it's a com port issue.
My 6600 reads all the data but I'm missing something to get the CW machine working..
Winkeyer is activated and works in N1MM+
Good luck!

73 - ON7NQ-OP2R Danny