Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6700 FT8 suddenly stops working

Pat N6PAT
Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Add me to the list of FT8 users where the rig suddenly stops transmitting

6700 v2.3.9.112 SSDR, windows 8.1 , WSJT-X v1.8.0

Started a few days ago. I'm working FT8 when it suddenly stops transmitting. I tried restarting WSJT-X, restarting DAX, changing bands , re-tuning, no good. The only way to get it to start working again is to shut down and restart SSDR.

There were 4 recent windows updates all on 8/15 but the problem first surfaced a few days before. I initially thought it was just a flaky error but it has now happened 4 or 5 times and as recently as 10 minutes ago. When this happens there is no indication of audio in DAX or on the Level meter but the radio keys up and so does my Ameritron ARB 704 keying interface to my amp.

Here's a list of the updates. Prior to this there were no updates since 7/11

Comments

• Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    A recent reply to the same issue suggested that instead of using the TCP port communication in CAT, to instead create a CAT serial port and configure it and WSJT-X as a Kenwood TS-2000. I have mine on TCP and have had problems. When I get back to my home station, I intend to try the CAT serial interface myself. It’s said to make FT-8 very reliable.
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    What about simply closing DAX then restarting it. I find that works for this issue. Ian
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    We need more details.  Are you using CAT keying or TCP keying?  

Mike

• Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    AS I said, restarting DAX does not fix the problem
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Using CAT.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    WSJT-X is configured as Kenwood TS-2000
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    The weird thing is that I use FT8 all day long with no issues and then out of the blue this happens.

This evening I had nothing else running on my PC and changed bands from 160 to 30. Called CQ DX a few times then it went silent.

There was no jump in SWR, no alarms of any kind. Nothing to indicate  a problem. Restarting WSJT-X did not fix the problem. Only when I restarted SSDR did it start working again
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Now that I think about it this problem seems to happen most when I switch to 30 meters. That's what happened 2 days ago and that's what happened this evening.

It's working on 30 fine now with the rig saying SWR about 1.2 and the LDG tuner saying 1.1

fyi...the antenna is a Hustler 6BTV vertical ground mounted.

• Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Are you using CAT TCP or Serial?
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Serial
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Well, that shoots my theory. I hope you find a solution. From what I’ve read, this is a common problem with Flex Signature radios and FT-8. The WSJT-X developers haven’t been able to get at the root of the cause. Perhaps your issue is RF infiltration per your above post.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Maybe. I can't recreate it.  It just happens out of the blue but not enough to warrant a trip to the shop. It's just a minor annoyance. I restart SSDR and it works like a charm.

• Pat ON3CQ
    Pat ON3CQ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Try to remove the config file in the appdata folder of wsjt-x. Have also experienced in the past that many problems have been solved.

• WQ2H - Jim Poulette
    edited March 2020
    I use FT8 via CAT every day (for a few hours anyway) and haven't seen this. I did have to reinstall the DAX drivers after the last Win10 "spring update" - but aside that it's been fine.

I do leave the 6600M on 24/7, and have noticed every week or so I need to restart SmartSDR  because it stops decoding the FT8 signals. You can clearly see the signal deterioration in the waterfall. But as you mentioned, a restart always corrects it. My clocks are up to **** so I don't think it's a timing issue.

Good luck!
    Jim, WQ2H
  • Pat ON3CQ
    Pat ON3CQ Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Try Dimension 4 time software Jim. Give these admin rights in Windows and with advanced mark the time server that you want to use. FT8 is also running 24/7 with SmartSDR and no problem with this software.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.