Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6700 current draw when off

AC9S
AC9S Member ✭✭

How much current does the 6700 draw when turned off.  I am a stickler for disconnecting everything when I am not operating and am thinking of using a battery backup - Westmountain product - to keep the frequency standard powered when I have the plug pulled.

Keith

AC9S

Answers

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Keith - you might want to chat directly with FRS as I'm not certain you can do what you want to do.

The Freq. Std, in a GPSDO Flex-6700 powers down when you sleep the radio.

About 2 year ago FRS said the the GPSDO would eventually be configurable to stay on and locked, though if it is configurable at the present version level I somehow missed it.

The idle power draw in receive mode is said to be under 2 amps (at the 13v) which works out to something like 10-cents of power per day.

Less power than my Rb-souce pulls interestingly enough.

Steve
    K9ZW

http://k9zw.wordpress.com

• Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    2 amps isn't much, unless your on solar/battery power, in which case all unnecessary power draws are scrutinized.  An unnecessary 2 amp draw on say a sailboat could be considered a lot of power.   Especially during a cloudy or rainy spell.  My station here is 100% solar/battery.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

A lot of hamshack gear and solutions are less desirable in situations where finite power rations are the limiting factor. 

In mains-power supplied situations the parasitic load of equipment on standby is hardly a factor. 

In a off-grid home the standby draw for a Flex-6700 in receive mode is also often going to be within the power budget for a system sized large enough to actually operate including running the computer and handling the transmit load.

Sailboats often use small systems where loads are more often run only when in use, and seldom allowed to run in standby. 

Swinging back to Keith's question - his interest in keeping the Frequency Standard of a Flex-6700 powered up separately by battery when the radio is off, and where he would plug in the radio when he wanted the entire unit to run, it doesn't look like possible.

Steve

K9ZW

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Powered off, a little less than an amp @ 13.8 VDC.  Powered on, ~2 amps @ 13.8 VDC.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    What am I missing here? I shut off the power supply and it is zero.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

Perhaps Tim W4TME was reflecting the power use difference for receiving if idling without and also with the GPSDO enabled?

Steve

K9ZW

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    The PSoC never turns off.  It runs all the time unless power is removed from the radio.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Why leave the power supply on?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    1.  So that your systems are not stressed due to heat changes when powered on and off.
    2.  So that you can have instant on
    3.  So that the crystal ovens keep stabalized
    4.  So that one can run remote

I probably could think of a dozen more

Bottom Line:  My station is always on
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Since the 6300 barely gets warm to the touch I doubt there is much stress. I never left power to my 5000 and it survived. Instant on? I cannot think of a reason I would need a ham radio instantly. Frequency stable? I never noticed an iota of drift.
    The remote reason is valid.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    From You... my getting 1 out of 4 must be considered to be a passing grade.

Thanks
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    You are'far more capable than I. you don't need validation from me.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    @burt, c'mon if you want zero amps drawn, switch off the PS.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I do that. I use about 225 KW per month. My car gets 60 MPG. I am not supporting terrorism with my use of energy
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    Since this topic question has been answered, I am closing this post.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.