6700 ATU Rocks!

• Praise
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
I use a Hustler 6BTV vertical. I always wanted to work 160 but my Hustler doesn't handle that band and I didn't want to string a lot of wire all over the yard.

I saw a video made a few years ago about a mod for 160. It involves replacing the whip on the 80 meter resonator with a 19 foot wire to form an inverted "L" . I gave it a shot and kept cutting a few inches off until I got 2.5 on 1.840 for FT8 with my MFJ antenna analyzer.  I figured all was well until I tried to tune up the 6700 with my LDG but the SWR was off the chart.

I put the LDG in bypass and tuned with the 6700 ATU but that didn't work. Sky high SWR. I even powered down the LDG but kept it connected but that didn't work either. I was determined to get this to work so I checked the SWR at every connection and all said 2.5 so I decided to remove the LDG completely and connect the 6700 directly to the antenna. After I did this and engaged the ATU the SWR read 1.2! The LDG just didn't like my 160 mod.

Not only did I get 1.2 on 1.840 but I got readings less than that across the entire 160 band. After just a couple of hours of playing around with FT8 I got 20 states from my QTH in upstate NY. running just 55 watts.

I don't know why my LDG was so picky - works great on all other bands - but the 6700 ATU worked like a champ.

See you on 160
Photo of Pat

• 102 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of VE7ATJ

• 94 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I too have found the ATU in my 6500 to be superior to the LDG tuner.  For me it was 80m on my 43' vertical antenna.  The LDG just wouldn't handle it, but the 6500 deftly manages most of the 80m band, except for the bottom 500khz.  And yes, I can even get it to match up on 160m as well.  Kudos to the ATU design team!