Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6700 Antenna Selection Problem

Gary Schulz
Gary Schulz Member ✭✭
Ever since my 6700 was new I have had issues with the selected antenna randomly dropping out whether I am changing bands or just tuning around the band.  The only way to get it back to the correct antenna (Ant 1 in this case) I need to cycle the antenna selector menu through other choices to get it back to Ant 1.  When this happens, the menu selection continues to show Ant 1 selected but the RX go away.  I then have to manually select another position and then reselect Ant 1 and it comes back.  Seem like faulty hardware because it acts the same way on every SW load used.  Anybody else see erratic antenna selection issues?

Thanks
Gary

Comments

• Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Initial response is a relay contact issue. May warrant a trip to Austin. I suggest you open a help desk ticket.
  • Ted_Spiegel_NX6C
    Ted_Spiegel_NX6C Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    My Signature Series 6700 has receive noise level that behaves as you describe. .  When the receive noise level drops very low I just go to another antenna and then back again.  That usually brings the noise level  back.  Been that way for years.  
    I used to think it may be a relay.  I doesn't happen all the time so I just 'flick' the antenna switch.

Ted
    NX6C
  • Gary Schulz
    Gary Schulz Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Ted,

Yes, exactly the same scenario.  It gets to be pretty annoying to have to flick the switch back and forth as the signal drops out.  Mine does it just scanning across a band so it happens way more than "nuisance" level...

Sounds like this might be a relatively common issue?

Gary
  • Bill - ND0B
    Bill - ND0B Member
    edited November 2017
    I have had this issue since day one over three years ago associated with band change on my 6700 and reported it.   I was told it was a known issue that was already on the bug list so this likely affects any version you are likely to load.   As far as I can tell it has never been fixed.   

In my case I first noted it when going from a band like 6m on the normal list to a band in the transverter list.   If I do not first change the receive from ANT2 (my normal 6m antenna port) to XVTR before making the band change random changes occur in the slices that are in the other panadapters.   These range from which rx antenna port is used to the preamp level to the LOOP being used.     More recently I have found the same behavior when moving from 6m to HF (where I use ANT1)  however making this move I have yet to find a workaround.     

Partly because of this ongoing  issue and partly because I have found better methods of RX than the Flex I keep an extremely simplistic configuration, one panadapter with one slice that I use for TX and one panadapter with one slice monitoring 50.125.   In spite of this simplistic implementation when I move from 6m to HF on the slice I used for TX the slice I use for 50.125 on the other panadapter moves to ANT1, the preamp moves from +40 to 0 and LOOP B gets shut off.   When I change the 50.,125 slice back to ANT2 the TX slice moves to ANT2 and turns on LOOP B.  Everything finally settles to where I want it by changing the TX slice back to ANT1 and turning LOOP B off.   

Needless to say this is an absolute pain the significantly detracts from how complicated of setup you dare use on the radio.

73 de Bill ND0B

• Bill - ND0B
    Bill - ND0B Member
    edited November 2017
    There is an additional issue associated with band change you should also be aware of if you utilize DDUtil (K5FR's wonderful companion program to the Flex that talks to just about anything with a serial port) or any other external program that utilizes the programmer's interface.    When switching from a band where one mode is set to a band where another mode is set SSDR does not generate a mode change event.   This issue has been there longer than I have owned my radio and as far as I can tell has not been fixed. 

In the case of DDUTil this affects the AMP Autodrive function where you can set different amp drive levels for different modes.   It also affects DDUtil calling its mode change macros which in my case translates auxiliary fans used primarily for high duty cycle digital modes fail to turn on and off as they should.    I have had to get in the habit of when I band change if the mode is what I already want change it to something else then change it back.  

Having this happen is absolutely elating when the drive does not get changed as it should for an amp with a pair of $1200 tubes and a grid trip happens.  

73 de Bill ND0B

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited November 2017
    Gary - do you hear a relay click when the antenna "drops out"?
  • Gary Schulz
    Gary Schulz Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Tim,

Not sure.  I do of course hear relay noises when cycling to get it back.  I will try it later today and let you know.

Gary
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited November 2017
    Tnx.  That will assist in determining what is happening.
  • Bill - ND0B
    Bill - ND0B Member
    edited November 2017
    Follow up!    The mode event on band change issue either has been fixed or DDUtil has put a bandaid on it.     I had gotten so much in the habit of toggling modes when band changing that the fact that DDUTil  was changing modes on band change was not noted.  

73 de Bill ND0B
  • Gary Schulz
    Gary Schulz Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Tim,

Yes the relay clicks when it drops out...

Gary
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited November 2017
    OK.  That means that something is commanding the radio to change something in the RX signal path.  The next step is to determine what is changing and why it is changing.

I recommend that you open a HelpDesk support ticket so we can methodically go through a troubleshooting process to figure out what is happening. If by chance Dudley picks up your ticket before I have the opportunity to do so, please have him assign your ticket to me.  Thanks.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.