6600M update problem

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Solved
After trying about 10 times over the last few days to update my 6600M
from version 2.2.8 to version 2.3.7 I still get the same result on step 1.  "There was a problem while downloading the file.  Please try again."  Any advice?
Photo of K4ELO

K4ELO

• 95 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of N8SDR

N8SDR

• 107 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
when you say downloading the file, do yo mean the setup file from Flex site? If so I would suggest you look at your Virus settings it may be blocking the setup file, or it is possible that your already have a virus or malware that is corrupting the download file.  Try downloading another file such as  the install PDF or another filer from Flex site and see if you can open that download? Also make sure your downloading the correct version for your operating system,
Photo of K4ELO

K4ELO

• 95 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Thanks for the suggestions but M versions download new firmware files directly from the internet.  No pc involved.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9148 Posts
  • 3467 Reply Likes
How is your 6600M connected to the Internet?  Is it connected to your network router or Ethernet switch that is connected to the network router?

I have seen this happen occasionally where the throughput quality of the Internet connection results in a lot of retries causing an issue like this.

I'd recommend downloading SmartSDR for Windows v2.3.7 from the website (http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/smartsdr_v2-3-7_installer-exe/), install it on a PC to do the radio firmware update.  After it is done, power down the 6600M, remove the DC power cable for about 10 seconds, reconnect it and power up the radio (this is known as a "cold" boot and it reinitializes all the internal processors).

Now when you update the Front Panel of the 6600M to v2.3.7, it will not have to do a radio firmware update and that in itself may resolve your download issue.

If not, please open a HelPDesk support ticket. 
Photo of K4ELO

K4ELO

• 95 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
This is weird Tim.  Radio is directly connected to the router.  SSDR 2.3.7 already installed.  Did a cold boot.  Started SSDR and connected to the radio.  Tapped on Info on M screen and it says Radio Firmware: v2.3.7.110.  Shut down SSDR and tap Connect on M screen. Select a Version screen comes up showing v2.3.7 software download required.  What now?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9148 Posts
  • 3467 Reply Likes
Tap on v2.3.7 to update the Front Panel software.

The M model radios have two software updates; the firmware and the front panel.  If you update the radio from the PC, which updates the radio firmware, that does not update the front panel software.  You have to do that from the Front Panel.

The icons next to the version number will tell you what will be updated.
Photo of K4ELO

K4ELO

• 95 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Thanks for the info Tim.  Trying the download again.  Will let you know what happens.
Photo of K4ELO

K4ELO

• 95 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
All good now Tim.  Rebooted my modem and router and update succeeded.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.