Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6600M TX Relay Question - Same Specs as 6000?

David Salomon
David Salomon Member ✭✭
Hi folks -

I have a 6600M on order (and am waiting patiently ... OK, impatiently :-).  This is my first Flex, so please excuse if this question is ignorant.

I have a Dow Key 62-110 coaxial relay that I want to use for switching a receive only antenna.  The antenna goes through a distribution amp because it feeds 4 other radios besides the new Flex.  So I need to switch it out of line just before the distribution amp on transmit.

The specs for the Flex-6000 TR Relays are 40Vdc @ 150mA.  Are the specs for the 6600 the same?  The Dow Key 62-110 is 12Vdc @ 160mA.  Given the lower voltage requirements, is it safe to pull 10mA more current through the TX Relay?  If not, I can always build another lower power relay in front of it, but I'd rather not have 2 relays just to switch the antenna out.

73 - David, AG4F

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited November 2017
    The specs for the Flex-6000 TR Relays are 40Vdc @ 150mA.  Are the specs for the 6600 the same? 

Yes.

Given the lower voltage requirements, is it safe to pull 10mA more current through the TX Relay?

The 150 mA spec on the relay driver is based on all outputs being loaded equally to the max.
    If the other outputs are not used or are not close to 150 mA, the difference can be applied to
    the output driving the Dow-Key, to a max of ~500 mA, with only one output active.  I would factor in some headroom just to be safe.

So no problem with 160 mA on one port, if others are less loaded.
  • David Salomon
    David Salomon Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thanks for the quick reply!!
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited November 2017
    You're welcome.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.