Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6600m To Monitor Via HDMI Or N1MM+??

Our radio club is in the process of setting up an Icom 7300 and will take the 7300 screen to a big screen monitor via N1MM+.  If N1MM+ has a Telnet connection it will display the calling stations Call Sign above the signals.  Does the HDMI port connection do the same if the 6600m is connected to N1MM+ or to get this feature do I need to connect to the monitor via N1MM+??  I understand N1MM+ will work now with Flex Radios.  Another feature about the N1MM+ connection with the 7300 is that a computer mouse can control the radio with a cursor on the big screen.  Steve Ellington's videos on the 7300 demonstrate what I am asking concerning the cursor and mouse.

I should indicate that my 6600M was delivered today and I've not unboxed it yet.  As today in my Anniversary, I decided that the best idea would postpone the unboxing and setup for another day.

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    The HDMI connection on the back of the M models will only Mirror the data on the front of the radio.  

The M models do not support an external keyboard or mouse.  

However, you can display SmartSDR on a 2, 3rd or 4th monitor from Windows as an external monitor and use keyboard and mouse control.

73, Mike

• Gary Johnson
    Gary Johnson Member
    edited February 2018
    I understand that the 6600M's HDMI port works as you describe Michael.  However, it is possible that N1MM+ will let you connect the Flex radio (at least with the 7300) to N1MM+ on your computer bringing the panadaptor to a big screen in that manner.  And if connected to Telnet the call signs of the signals might also be displayed.  In addition the cursor and mouse of the computer become active on the monitor and control the tuning of the radio (again for sure with the 7300).  I need to research further whether the 6600M will connect likewise to N1MM+.and allow N1MM+ to control the radio.  I also realize that I can control the radio via the cursor on my laptop just like a non-M 6600.  However my reason for purchasing a 6600M in the first place was to divorce myself as much as possible from Mr Gates' products.  When Microsoft decides to update Windows 10, they could care less what their update does to the Flex radio.

Do a youtube search on  "Icom 7300 connecting to monitor Steve Ellington" and see for yourself what I am talking about.

I also understand that the 6600M does not support a keyboard or mouse but via N1MM+ IT JUST MIGHT DO SO.

I was hoping someone else may have already tried what I propose, saving me the trouble of wasting my time (or not).
  • Dave VE3VSM
    Dave VE3VSM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    SmartSDR 2 supports the N1MM+ Spectrum Display feature, which is what you're seeing in Steve Ellington's YouTube videos "IC-7300 External Monitor N1MM software" and "IC-7300 using N1MM for the BIG SCREEN."

Because this window is generated by N1MM+ you will only see it on a monitor connected to the PC on which N1MM+ runs.  You won't see it on a monitor connected directly to the radio.  The resolution and refresh rate of N1MM+'s Spectrum Display is far inferior to that of SmartSDR but it does display spots received via telnet and it is clickable.

On my 6500 I can have both the SmartSDR and the N1MM+ Spectrum Display windows operating simultaneously, which suggests you may be able to have Spectrum Display on your PC and the normal SSDR on the 6600M's front panel display at the same time - or plug a second monitor into the 6600M for the SSDR display.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Gary,

I think what you want if I understand correctly is the N1MM bandmap with callsigns above peaks?

Are you running V2 now?

With Flex SSDR version 2 and N1mm it does that on the computer screen currently.  So you don't need to use HDMI. Just put it on any monitor you want.

Is this what you are referring to?

http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Spectrum+Display+Window

I dont see you improving the resolutions as this is a function of N1mm

Rich
  • Gary Johnson
    Gary Johnson Member
    edited February 2018
    Thank you Rich for the link.  It's exactly what I was trying to ask and it's great to know it works.  Do you know if the cursor also works with Flex/N1MM+ ??

On FD coming up in June we are hoping to possibly do an all SDR FD.  We try to hang a 40 inch TV for guests to watch.  This will allow not having one of the Flex's dedicated to this function.

I wonder if HDMI can display 2 slices and N1MM only the active one.

As for SmartSDR V2 - the radio is a new 6600M.  It better have the latest SmartSDR Version.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I would say you need to run HDMI out of the computer and not the Flex.  Then you can arrange windows as you like and duplicate your computer monitor and not the Flex.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.