Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6600M Spectrum refresh rate lagging?

Tom -WA2TP
Tom -WA2TP Member
I see in the specifications that the spectrum display on the 6600M is "real time". Most understand this to be ~30fps. I have looked at you tube videos and the spectrum display seems to lag. Perhaps, there is a setting  that is off in videos i have seen?  I know that you can change the speed of the waterfall.  For spectrum processing comparison sake only, when i look at videos of the 7610 spectrum display it seems much more fluid than the 6600m. Perhaps someone has a better HD video of the spectrum display in action? Also, does having multiple slices open/ dual watch slow this down? (the Icom 7851 drops to 15fps in dual watch - crazy for a radio that cost 13K+).

Answers

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    For the flex radio, one thing to remember is that averaging can be added to the spectrum display so it is not bouncing...i know i set that to average value about 5
    this is similar to what you would see for FT8 waterfall display
    and
    flexradio still  updates the display at 30fps but signal is now the averaged values

as far as i know it can be set also on the icom 7610 as well as 7300
    but
    some where deep inside the menus
    and
    most hams dont make that adjustment...

this type of bouncy display to me is nothing but pure dazzle
    and
    visually distracting...

Paul K3SF

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    The pan display is really all about personal preference.

If operating local, meaning I'm on the LAN close to the radio I tend to opt for
    FrameRate: 20 or more
    Averaging: 40-70.   

I like the higher averaging because the display becomes less frenetic in my option.  I don't like the jittery looking displays like the 7300 has in some of its averaging modes.

When I'm operating remote and over WAN, especially at my office with terrible internet, I turn the frame rate way down to like 10.  I then play with averaging until I get a pan that feels good.

The waterfall can be used to see that there was a signal in a certain place.

Again this is all personal preference but to see what the 6600 can do, on LAN set the frame rate to 30 and the averaging down to 1 or its lowest setting.  It's pretty darned fast.

I am not sure how quickly the Maestro front panel can display the pan but I suspect it is similar to a reasonable computer running SSDR.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.