Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6600M questions

Michael Coslo
Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
With the birthing problems of the Icom 7610, my club is having me look into the Flex 6600M.  Thi looks like a good compromise between the computer people like myself and the knobs and buttons folks. 

I had some question though. On Page 101 of the 6400M/6600M user guide, it is noted that for Digital modes, the radio needs to be controlled by SmartSDR on a computer and best to use DAX. At that point, you can tune and check out the spectrum with the front panel, but control is only via SmartSDR on the computer. 

We use N1MM heavily, and there is where my big question comes up On Page 105m of the manual, we're advised to refer to the 
"SO2R Mode with N1MM for the FLEX-6600(M) or FLEX-6700 How to Guide for SO2R".

The link in the manual only goes to  a Flex-6700 guide, and I cannot find the Flex-6600M guide anywhere.

So after my long winded setup - If I use N1MM to work the logging, are the front panel controls on the 6600M disabled? 

Answers

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    No. what you would do is install smartSDR on the computer that is running N1MM, but only run DAX and CAT, (not the full ssdr app).  then you can still interface with the 6600-M and use the M panel in front.
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi, if you use N1mm for logging on a local PC you will use the Virtual Com Ports that Flex provide via SDR CAT and DAX for that matter. If you define the slices of your 6400M to be used by N1MM you may use the VFO:s of the 6400M to controll frequency or use N1MM bandmap to set 6400M to spots frequency.  So they play together. This applies to all 6000-series models. Using the guide will show you how to set up the ports on your radio. It works very well I can assure you. Doing this on IC-71610 would be not possible in such a simple way. 
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Does this mean thte front panel controls on the 6600M work at the same time as the controls on the computer?

I guess the simplest way to put it is if I'm running N1MM and switch bands. will I also be able to switch bands with the front panel controls on the 6600M?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    The link in the manual only goes to  a Flex-6700 guide, and I cannot find the Flex-6600M guide anywhere.
    It's literally the same exact process.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Yes, sorta. 

Band changes on N1MM that are simply invoked by going to another frequency are handled differently from band changes invoked via a band button from within SmartSDR or the M console (or Maestro). The persistence is different, meaning that settings are likely to be retained if you simply change frequency whereas different settings for a new band are invoked if you do a band change via a band button. 
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    to add to Ria's comments, that are spot on, The current workflow of the N1MM initiated band change  vs a SSDR initiated band change compel me to currently recommend that actual band changes be done from SmartSDR(or SSDR-M, the 6600 front panel).  once in band then direct frequency entry from N1MM works fine.  this is just a little "feature" of this environment at this time.

So best practices are currently:

-Install same version of SmartSDR on the computer with the N1MM logger
    -make sure smartSDR cat and dax are running, and you have created the needed interface ports (CAT, OTRSP, Winkeyer as needed)
    -you do not need to run smartSDR for windows.. (just the cat and dax applets)
    -When using the environment, if you need to do a band change, initiate it from SSDR
    -Direct frequency entry in N1MM, or clicking spots on the band map works fine once in band

• Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    However if your running smartsdr for windows from the computer the front panel of the M series shows in use and you can only control the rig from smartsdr for windows. You can interface with dax and cat and not run smartsdr for windows from the computer in which case the rig is controlled by the front panel and the computer is running n1mm or whatever.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    You'll be able to use both at the same time with the planned multi-client feature. 
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Flex has publicly committed to the multi-client feature in a future build. For now you can use either one or the other, but not both together.   but you can still use SSDR dax and cat(that are installed as a component of SSDR-W) to interface to computer applications while using the 6600-M interface, or Maestro interface, so you still benefit from the cable/clutter reduction of eliminating audio and cat cables.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Okay - that's more or less what I was expecting. As long as we have frequency via the knob control it's good. I wish there was a setup I could try out somewhere.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.