Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6600M goes into transmit mode all by itself.

Terry K8EET
Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
When I started typing the title for this post it completed the post. So I started looking for similar posts so I assume it has happened to someone else but I did not find the post.

I was fixing dinner listening to the Flex receiving CW signals in the background. I heard a huge carrier on the frequency only to find that the Flex was transmitting. The MOX button was lit but pushing it would not stop it from transmitting. The only thing I could do was turn the radio off.

This morning it happened again while I was typing an email message. I observed that the radio was in the CW portion of the band although it was set to DIGU because that was the last mode I had used (FT8) The output from the FLEX was 57 watts. Which is where I had it set using for FT8. It may have been set the same way but in my panic to stop the radio I didn't notice the settings. (No software related to the FLEX was running)

Comments

• NA0B
    NA0B Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    This happened to me a couple of times while I had the radio in WSPR. The radio started transmitting at the TUNE power (10 watts). I could not reproduce this behavior, so I attributed to it to some WSJT-X miscommunication with the Flex 600M.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Hi Terry

The radio will only go into TX if something tells it to, or the VOX is on and it heard something.

I would look in SmartSDR CAT and see what devices/programs are connected and work backwards from there.

Mike

• Terry K8EET
    Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Mike,

The radio was the only thing on or the only thing that was on the second time this happened. I'm not sure about the first time it happened. (I was in a panic to get it out of the transmit condition.) The second time it happened the only thing open on the computer was my email program.  The mode was set DIGU. Not sure why it was in the CW portion except I had only turned the radio on and, as I normally do, look to see if any bands are open. 

I have done some experimenting today.  I did find that in DIGU mode, if the VOX is turned on, it is possible to engage the VOX with a good solid clap in front of the mike. Nothing seems to be transmitted, the MOX light does not come on. By setting my speakers and gains up as loud as they will go, the VOX will engage if it is turned up to about 75. That's twice as high as I have my VOX set and I assure you my volume is set very low when I'm in digital modes.

I cannot recreate the problem. I am concerned about leaving the rig on to operate from my daughters home 1,800 miles away.

Terry
    K8EET

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Hi Terry

I've been operating 6000 series remote for a very long time, and to date, I can 100% say the radio only goes into TX when some other program told it to, or if something else has access to the PTT port in SmartSDR CAT.  My radio is on 7x24.   

As an example, if I start my Elecraft W2 Wattmeter, it may send the radio into TX if it probes a com port that is also in  use by SmartSDR CAT.  

Here is one of my screen shots showing the N1MM had ownership of the Ports.  This is what you need to check and see to what ports may have a process associated with them.

I hope that helps.

Mike

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I wonder about using VOX with DigU anyway. Most programs have the ability to do CAT port keying of PTT. If VOX is activating with a loud clap, then you have an extraneous mic source activating it. Check what mic profile you have active, Ann/or if you have something mirroring your computer mic into the DAX input. Something is amiss..... Ken - NM9P
  • Terry K8EET
    Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I have not been able to duplicate this issue. I will have to be more observant if it happens again. I would say it's a PTT issue rather than a VOX issue because the MOX light was lit. If this happens to someone else, don't panic if you can't get out of the transmit mode. Try to observe what may have caused it before you turn the radio off.
  • Terry K8EET
    Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    It happened again today. The Flex (6600M) was in the CW mode. Computer turned off. The MOX switch was lit. There was no output but there was sidetone. Normally, there is no sidetone when the MOX switch is engaged in the CW mode. (At least on my 6600.)
  • Mike-VA3MW
    edited April 2019
    Hi Terry

This is a new one.  

Can we confirm that nothing else was connected?  

When the this happened, was there a Key connected to the radio?  Can you test for a bit without the Key connected?

Mike

• Terry K8EET
    Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Mike,

I was thinking along the same line. A key was attached but not keyed of course. I pulled the plug from the back of the FLEX. I'm leaving it on to see what happens. Previously, this happened when it was left in DIGU.

As I was typing this it came back on and there is a full 50 watts output. This time I was able to stop it transmitting by pressing the TX button which was lit. I hadn't tried that before. So now I'm going to turn the TX back on. (For Slice A) and see what happens.  
  • Mike-VA3MW
    edited April 2019
    I have created a support ticket.
  • Terry K8EET
    Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Thanks, Michael 

I have to tell you I disconnected the line going to the amp rather than the key which I discovered when I couldn't tune the amp. So I have disconnected the key. I'm a light sleeper so I think I will hear it if it keys overnight. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.