Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6600M Front Panel AND SmartSDR Simultaneously?

David Salomon
David Salomon Member ✭✭
Has a decision been made yet regarding how the 6600M display will be used when operating via SmartSDR?  It would be really nice to have the Front Panel controls and the display usable simultaneously with SmartSDR.

Answers

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020

I don't know if a decision has been made but this it what has been suggested for future software update.

When under SmartSDR control on client device the built-in display on the radio would show full status info such as Temperatures, Fan speeds, SWR, RF Power output, volts, amps & other useful stuff maybe user call sign.

The ability to have multi-client capability where the user can run SmartSDR client on PC and the SmartSDR in the radio at the same time.

• David Salomon
    David Salomon Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    John -

Thanks for the reply and info.

73 - David, AG4F
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    This is most likely what will be available when multi client is developed and rolled out. I think they are almost expecting that same exact scenario - two ops, one radio using smartsdr or maestro and the M front panel.

Ria
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    And that way when someone is using your radio remote you can log in and watch...
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I have been thinking about this for a day and don’t quite understand it. Are you saying that if I have one of the M models the display becomes useless as soon as I use a PC to run digital modes or a logger? Isn’t it safe to assume that the vast majority of radios will be connected to a PC?

Perhaps the built-in screen and an actual client can coexist at the same time. I have not used a Maestro yet. Can you not use at the same time the Maestro and SmartSDR today? How would you run digital modes and/or a logger if they cannot coexist?
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    To answer the question will the display be useless when a logger or digital mode is running on pc...

The basic answer is NO...the logger s/w will only use the CAT app and the digital s/w will only need to use CAT and DAX.
    this is the way it works today...no  changes there
    and
    the SSDR running on the 6xxxM display is the ssdr client
    this is single client setup

However as to how a setup with Maestro and 6xxxM will operate only flex knows for sure at this time.

In the future when Flex implements multi-client then both Maestro and the 6xxxM display can both be operating at the same time...Hence the term
    multi-client.
    and
    you will be able to also run tyhe PC with th eloggers and digital s/w at the same time.

hope this help clarify the issue

Paul K3SF
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Thanks, Paul. As I don’t have a Maestro I didn’t realize that CAT and DAX are not considered “clients” and can operate at the same time as the Maestro or the display of the M series.
  • James Whiteway
    edited October 2017
    I was told I would be able to run SSDR on my pc with the 6600M and the display on the 6600M would change in some way allowing SSDR to function normally. James WD5GWY
  • Bill Garfield W1BG
    edited February 2018
    As it should be...
  • David Salomon
    David Salomon Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thanks.  Which is expected when?
  • James Whiteway
    edited February 2018
    Tim, until multi-client is released, how will the 6400M and 6600M work with SSDR? As I mentioned above, I was told at one of the hamfests (by a Flex rep) that they would work in a more or less, either or type of way. And that with SSDR running on the PC that the front panel of the radio would still function but with no display. (Panafall etc.) Did I understand that correctly? Or will I not be able to run SSDR on my pc with my 6600M when it arrives?
    james
    WD5GWY

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    ...and am I correct that I can use a 6600M (and its HDMI output) as the client while simultaneously using my local PC (and its screen) for DAX and CAT)?  
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Yes.
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    yes.... simple answer

That setup implies two (2) computers are communicating with the flex radio. One computer in GUI client mode and the other using DAX/CAT ONLY mode. In fact you could add a third or fourth or more in the DAX/CAT only Mode. I have done this with V1 of SSDR. The setup included two Mac Minis running a VM  where one was running DAX/CAT,  sdrbridge and CWskimmer and the other mini was running DAX/CAT and fldigi and the macbookpro  was running dogparkSDR  (GUI client).

Paul K3SF
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited October 2017
    I am afraid we do not answer "when" type questions until the release of the feature or product are imminent.
  • David Salomon
    David Salomon Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Noted for future.  Thanks.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited October 2017
    The last I heard, you will be able to run SmartSDR for Windows with the M models.  I do not have any details as to how that will functionally operate.
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited February 2018
    Will this be for all new models or just M
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited October 2017
    MultiClient will be a feature available to all FLEX-6000s
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Asunning a 6600M, Does that include the ability to operate Slice A on antenna A from one device and slice B on antenna B from another. That would be very helpful and give a fully interlocked in band radio set up from one 6600m and a Maestro in my case. I know you can’t speculate on a release date, but I will ask if it is slated earlier on the list or later on the list in relation to the 6600 M release Mike NN9DD
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited October 2017
    yeppie.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited October 2017
    Since we have not started the actual work on the MultiClient feature, it would be premature to speculate on or discuss the feature details at this time.
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Thanks Tim, that in itself gives me useful information Mike
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited October 2017
    We do JIT (just in time) programming, meaning that we do not spend a lot of time beforehand defining functional specs for features.  When it comes time to start working on it, we have a brainstorming session, define the operational objectives for the feature and then technical requirements for achieving those objectives.

This doesn't mean we have not been thinking about it and sharing ideas but at this juncture, it is premature to discuss them, even as just ideas, as they may (and usually do) change between now and when we release the feature.  And if something we say doesn't come to fruition, then people complain that expectations were not met.  To best manage everyone's expectations, we limit what we discuss publicly until we have something definitive to announce.
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Thanks for expanding, I was satisfied with the first answer. I was just curious as to where in the thought process we were. Your first answer told me that and I was satisfied

Just working on a contest station designed around 6000 series and wanted to gain some insights that you provided for design

Mike
    NN9DD
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited October 2017
    If you have ideas as to how you would like to see a feature work, we encourage anyone to create an Idea post in the community, explaining in as much detail as possible how they envision a feature.  This gives other Community members the opportunity to comment.  We do look at these posts before our brainstorming meetings.
  • James Whiteway
    edited October 2017
    Thank you Tim.
  • Jeff W7NEE
    Jeff W7NEE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    "Tim, until multi-client is released, how will the 6400M and 6600M work with SSDR? As I mentioned above, I was told at one of the hamfests (by a Flex rep) that they would work in a more or less, either or type of way. And that with SSDR running on the PC that the front panel of the radio would still function but with no display. (Panafall etc.) Did I understand that correctly? Or will I not be able to run SSDR on my pc with my 6600M when it arrives?
    james
    WD5GWY"

Tim:
    "The last I heard, you will be able to run SmartSDR for Windows with the M models.  I do not have any details as to how that will functionally operate."

As we get closer to the release of these radios can you share with us the answer to James question?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited January 2018
    You just load SmartSDR for Windows and connect to the radio.  When you do that, the front panel is disabled.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.