6600M Front Panel AND SmartSDR Simultaneously?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Has a decision been made yet regarding how the 6600M display will be used when operating via SmartSDR?  It would be really nice to have the Front Panel controls and the display usable simultaneously with SmartSDR.
Photo of David Salomon

David Salomon

• 111 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 744 Posts
  • 308 Reply Likes

I don't know if a decision has been made but this it what has been suggested for future software update.

When under SmartSDR control on client device the built-in display on the radio would show full status info such as Temperatures, Fan speeds, SWR, RF Power output, volts, amps & other useful stuff maybe user call sign.

The ability to have multi-client capability where the user can run SmartSDR client on PC and the SmartSDR in the radio at the same time.

Photo of Varistor

Varistor

• 334 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
I have been thinking about this for a day and don’t quite understand it. Are you saying that if I have one of the M models the display becomes useless as soon as I use a PC to run digital modes or a logger? Isn’t it safe to assume that the vast majority of radios will be connected to a PC?

Perhaps the built-in screen and an actual client can coexist at the same time.

I have not used a Maestro yet. Can you not use at the same time the Maestro and SmartSDR today? How would you run digital modes and/or a logger if they cannot coexist?
(Edited)
Photo of K3SF

K3SF

• 285 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
To answer the question will the display be useless when a logger or digital mode is running on pc...

The basic answer is NO...the logger s/w will only use the CAT app and the digital s/w will only need to use CAT and DAX.
this is the way it works today...no  changes there
and
the SSDR running on the 6xxxM display is the ssdr client
this is single client setup

However as to how a setup with Maestro and 6xxxM will operate only flex knows for sure at this time.

In the future when Flex implements multi-client then both Maestro and the 6xxxM display can both be operating at the same time...Hence the term
multi-client.
and
you will be able to also run tyhe PC with th eloggers and digital s/w at the same time.

hope this help clarify the issue

Paul K3SF
(Edited)
Photo of Varistor

Varistor

• 334 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Thanks, Paul. As I don’t have a Maestro I didn’t realize that CAT and DAX are not considered “clients” and can operate at the same time as the Maestro or the display of the M series.
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 1027 Posts
  • 292 Reply Likes
I was told I would be able to run SSDR on my pc with the 6600M and the display on the 6600M would change in some way allowing SSDR to function normally.
James
WD5GWY
Photo of David Salomon

David Salomon

• 111 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
John -

Thanks for the reply and info.

73 - David, AG4F
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2314 Posts
  • 954 Reply Likes
This is most likely what will be available when multi client is developed and rolled out. I think they are almost expecting that same exact scenario - two ops, one radio using smartsdr or maestro and the M front panel.

Ria
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3849 Posts
  • 929 Reply Likes
And that way when someone is using your radio remote you can log in and watch...
Photo of Bill Garfield W1BG

Bill Garfield W1BG

• 74 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
As it should be...
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3548 Reply Likes
Official Response
Yes, the decision has been made.  That functionality will come with the MultiClient feature which will be included in a SmartSDRv2 update.  That is the ability to use multiple GUI clients (Maestro, SmartSDR for iOS, SmartSDR for Windows and the M model display) connected to a single radio
Photo of Mike Hoing

Mike Hoing

• 271 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Asunning a 6600M, Does that include the ability to operate Slice A on antenna A from one device and slice B on antenna B from another. That would be very helpful and give a fully interlocked in band radio set up from one 6600m and a Maestro in my case.

I know you can’t speculate on a release date, but I will ask if it is slated earlier on the list or later on the list in relation to the 6600 M release

Mike
NN9DD
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3548 Reply Likes
Since we have not started the actual work on the MultiClient feature, it would be premature to speculate on or discuss the feature details at this time.
Photo of Mike Hoing

Mike Hoing

• 271 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Thanks Tim, that in itself gives me useful information

Mike
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3548 Reply Likes
We do JIT (just in time) programming, meaning that we do not spend a lot of time beforehand defining functional specs for features.  When it comes time to start working on it, we have a brainstorming session, define the operational objectives for the feature and then technical requirements for achieving those objectives.

This doesn't mean we have not been thinking about it and sharing ideas but at this juncture, it is premature to discuss them, even as just ideas, as they may (and usually do) change between now and when we release the feature.  And if something we say doesn't come to fruition, then people complain that expectations were not met.  To best manage everyone's expectations, we limit what we discuss publicly until we have something definitive to announce.
Photo of Mike Hoing

Mike Hoing

• 271 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Thanks for expanding, I was satisfied with the first answer. I was just curious as to where in the thought process we were. Your first answer told me that and I was satisfied

Just working on a contest station designed around 6000 series and wanted to gain some insights that you provided for design

Mike
NN9DD
(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3548 Reply Likes
If you have ideas as to how you would like to see a feature work, we encourage anyone to create an Idea post in the community, explaining in as much detail as possible how they envision a feature.  This gives other Community members the opportunity to comment.  We do look at these posts before our brainstorming meetings.
Photo of David Salomon

David Salomon

• 111 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Thanks.  Which is expected when?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3544 Reply Likes
I am afraid we do not answer "when" type questions until the release of the feature or product are imminent.
Photo of David Salomon

David Salomon

• 111 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Noted for future.  Thanks.
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 1027 Posts
  • 292 Reply Likes
Tim, until multi-client is released, how will the 6400M and 6600M work with SSDR? As I mentioned above, I was told at one of the hamfests (by a Flex rep) that they would work in a more or less, either or type of way. And that with SSDR running on the PC that the front panel of the radio would still function but with no display. (Panafall etc.) Did I understand that correctly? Or will I not be able to run SSDR on my pc with my 6600M when it arrives?
james
WD5GWY
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3548 Reply Likes
The last I heard, you will be able to run SmartSDR for Windows with the M models.  I do not have any details as to how that will functionally operate.
(Edited)
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 1027 Posts
  • 292 Reply Likes
Thank you Tim.
Photo of Jeff-W7NEE

Jeff-W7NEE

• 40 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
"Tim, until multi-client is released, how will the 6400M and 6600M work with SSDR? As I mentioned above, I was told at one of the hamfests (by a Flex rep) that they would work in a more or less, either or type of way. And that with SSDR running on the PC that the front panel of the radio would still function but with no display. (Panafall etc.) Did I understand that correctly? Or will I not be able to run SSDR on my pc with my 6600M when it arrives?
james
WD5GWY"

Tim:
"The last I heard, you will be able to run SmartSDR for Windows with the M models.  I do not have any details as to how that will functionally operate."

As we get closer to the release of these radios can you share with us the answer to James question?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3548 Reply Likes
You just load SmartSDR for Windows and connect to the radio.  When you do that, the front panel is disabled.

Bill Garfield W1BG

• 74 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Tim,
Help me understand. That seems inconsistent with the statement of multi-client support. If there is Multi Client support why would the front panel become disabled after connecting to the radio with a PC running SmartSDR?  Sorry, but I don't follow...
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 1027 Posts
  • 292 Reply Likes
Because multi-client is not yet implimented. With SSDR and the M model radios, for now, the radio's display will be disabled. The controls may work like the Flex control does presently, just no display on the front of the radios,,,,,yet.

Bill Garfield W1BG

• 74 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Thanks James.  Clear, unambiguous and to the point.
Photo of Neil D Friedman N3DF

Neil D Friedman N3DF

• 235 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
...and am I correct that I can use a 6600M (and its HDMI output) as the client while simultaneously using my local PC (and its screen) for DAX and CAT)?  
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 756 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Yes.
Photo of K3SF

K3SF

• 285 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
yes.... simple answer

That setup implies two (2) computers are communicating with the flex radio. One computer in GUI client mode and the other using DAX/CAT ONLY mode. In fact you could add a third or fourth or more in the DAX/CAT only Mode. I have done this with V1 of SSDR. The setup included two Mac Minis running a VM  where one was running DAX/CAT,  sdrbridge and CWskimmer and the other mini was running DAX/CAT and fldigi and the macbookpro  was running dogparkSDR  (GUI client).

Paul K3SF
(Edited)
Photo of James Skala

James Skala

• 103 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Will this be for all new models or just M
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3544 Reply Likes
MultiClient will be a feature available to all FLEX-6000s
(Edited)
Photo of James Skala

James Skala

• 103 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
yeppie.

Bill Garfield W1BG

• 74 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Hi Tim
Will Multi-Client be something that's in the initial shipping realease?
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 1023 Posts
  • 290 Reply Likes
No.

Bill Garfield W1BG

• 74 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Thanks again James.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3544 Reply Likes
It will be in a future v2.x release.
Photo of David G4NRT / Z21NRT

David G4NRT / Z21NRT

• 285 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
I had a chat with a Flex rep (I don't remember who) at Friedrichshafen.  

I was interested in connecting an external monitor to an M series box.  I was told that the external monitor would merely duplicate the front panel display and that I couldn't (for example) display the waterfall on the external monitor while the front panel simultaneously displayed meters or something different.  

For me this was a game changer and I decided there and then that an external Maestro was the only way to go for me.  It would be a 6600 and not a 6600M if I changed.

I like multi-client feature as described by Tim but I can't think of any reason now to change my 6700/Maestro combination to a 6600 especially as this will be available on all 6000 series boxes.  I suppose if there is a 6800 then that may be the time to upgrade!

David G4NRT
(Edited)
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1782 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
The 2 XVTR ports on the 6600 is the most tempting change... I would love that on the 6700. Then again, 6600 doesn't have a 144 IF to feed the microwave transverters..... so...who knows.
Photo of David G4NRT / Z21NRT

David G4NRT / Z21NRT

• 285 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Yes and I have 4m here in the UK as well! I think it is worth losing a XVTR port for - and I have the 75w DEMI 2MLPDA as well so another reason to keep the 6700 until its successor come along ...