6600M Connection to N1MM

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Answered
Our local DX and Contest club had the pleasure of working my 6600M on the CQ WPX SSB Contest this weekend.  However we were not able to figure out how to connect the 6600M to our club computer for band changing.  I understand that N1MM wants a serial port to connect to, and I understand that SmartSDR V2 will create a virtual serial port but what the manual fails to tell is if the Smart SDR in the radio via the Link Local network creates this virtual Serial port or if I have to load a copy of SmartSDR on the computer to do this.  HELP!!
Photo of Gary Johnson

Gary Johnson

• 104 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Chris Tate  - N6WM

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 808 Posts
  • 217 Reply Likes
Official Response
Gary-  Flex is a different architecture and it avoids most confusion if you look at it as such.  The 6600-M is a stand alone radio in the aspect that a control interface or user interface, in this case the M panel and SSDR-M Is integrated with the SDR radio.  So you can turn 6600-M and operate it without a computer.  but the computer/radio interface piece of this is a bit different than traditional rigs.. in fact its better.  All of the audio interface cables are virtual, and the CAT interfaces are virtual.  because of this, a copy of smartSDR for windows needs to be installed on the computer that will host the N1MM and interface with the 6600M.  As log as the virtual audio interface (SSDR-DAX) and the virtual serial (SSDR-CAT) portions are running and interfaced with your radio, you can setup the appropriate interfaces for N1MM based on the setup instructions in the online documents and flexradio.com. http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/using_n1mm_logger_with_smartsdr-pdf/

The only thing that need connect your logging computer with the Flex are 2 network cables, and a network switch or even better a router that can hand out ip addresses automatically.  This is extensively more simple than cat RS232 cables, audio cables, sound cards etc etc. to make a superhet radio interface work.

I hope that makes sense?  its really quite easy once you have the concept of the interface understood.

Photo of Mike, W8BE

Mike, W8BE

• 114 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Official Response
I would think running the 6400/6600 M models would be no different than running a Maestro.   

From reading your post I get the impression that you think you need to run SmartSDR to make N1MM communicate to the radio.   You will be only using the CAT / DAX programs on the pc that is running  N1MM. Your pc will need to be connected via Ethernet to a switch or router as well as your radio.  

You will need to set a port in SmartSDR CAT  for CAT control.  I also have another one set up as a WinKeyer port . 

As I type this I am running SmartSDR on my Maestro and DXLabs , N1MM, and FRStack CWX  on my pc.   My pc only has SmartSDR CAT and SmartSDR DAX running.  

Here is my N1MM setup 

Here is my SmartSDR CAT setup.  Notice Com 6 is CAT for N1MM and Com 8 is Winkeyer

Hope this helps...Many more folks are more knowledgeable than me and may have a better way to do it.