Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6600M6400M screen saver

WX7Y
WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
When we run SmartSDR on a 6400M or 6600M is there a way to add a screen saver to the M Radio display?
No reason for the screen to be left on when used in server mode (SmartSDR, IOS SmartSDR or External Maestro), Just kind of irritating to have it on all the time, makes a way to bright night light. 

If one could be added could just have the screen come back on when it is touched. 

Thanks a lot

Bret
WX7Y

Comments

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Funny, I was thinking the exact same this this morning about this topic!!! Lets see what Flex thinks!!!!

Robert
    6600M
  • SP7IDX
    SP7IDX Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Hello
    has anyone installed screen protector glass on Flex6400M / 6600M
    Touching the screen with your fingers leaves traces, I want to protect my Flex6600M
    some hints what screen protector glass model to use here -?
    Thank you for your help

or planned in next upgrade - screen saver for these Flex "M" models?

Regards Waldi SP7IDX
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I avoid the whole issue by using a stylus of the type used with smart phones - much more accurate than a finger tip, and has no oils :-)
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Ted is correct, I use the same type of Stylus on all my touch screen radios, phones and tablets!!! Plus they are more precise then your finger.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-Multi-Color-Universal-Stylus-Touch-Screen-Pen-for-Tablet-Phone-iPod-iPa...
  • SP7IDX
    SP7IDX Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I understand it and use the stylus, it is very precise and does not leave a trace on the screen but still does not protect the screen
    Regards Waldi
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Not sure what these responses have to do with a "screen saver" which was the original post which would turn off the screen (like a computer or tablet does) when it hasn't been used for a pre-set time or when we have SmartSDR, IOS device, or external Maestro connected unless the user touches the screen. 

Maybe these comments should be on there own thread labeled "Screen Protector" or "Pointer device's"

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I am still trying to figure out why you need a screen saver.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    When you run the radio remote as explained previously as a SERVER for other devices the screen stays on and like any other screened device can have BURN IN and then always have the image ghost burnt into the screen after an extended time of not changing screen content. 
    If you have never ran your radio from SmartSDR or remotely you have not seen the screen that never changes and is useless to be running unless you want to switch back to the M head which you could touch the screen to have it come back on. 

I run all my radio's 80% of the time remote but the radio is on ALL the time for months not just when I am sitting in front of it. 

Ever wonder why computers have screen savers? this is why, not just to save power.
    hope this clears up your confusion.

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    As we know, Flex radio has said they will consider this, but no from a possible burn in stand point.
    Burn in is a non issue with this type of screen.
  • SP7IDX
    SP7IDX Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I apologize to Bret for a few sentences about "safety glass"

And I think that you are right with the screen saver option on the menu

I use my Flex 6600M - on 24/24, 
    and brightness in my radio shack focuses my wife's attention and she often asks me "Why do you have light in your room? Why does not I have a screen saver like computers that screens off?

I think and FRS gentlemen should think about it
    - the same applies to my Maestro, I will rest without light :)
    Regareds Waldi
    SP7IDX

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
     You can turn DOWN the screen brightness if you want to,, or you have dozens of selections on things you can place over the screen to dim it down, like they have available for laptop computers that do not affect the Touch Screens capabilities... Several options

https://www.cdw.com/product/Fellowes-PrivaScreen-Blackout-notebook-privacy-filter/4146593?cm_cat=Goo...!

https://www.ebay.com/i/172619405444?chn=ps
  • Lucas - W6AER
    Lucas - W6AER Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Actually, instead of a screensaver, how about maybe if it displayed some additional useful info. Maybe an SWR warning or maybe even a UTC clock? I could think of some others but these two would be the most useful I think.

Just a thought...I would sure love the above two!
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Very good Idea Lucas for local operation would be nice to have some kind of useful tools, but my point is if your running remote why do the bugs need to have such a expensive night light when your hundreds or thousands of miles away from home using the radio on the Maestro, IPAD, or Laptop? 

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Lucas - W6AER
    Lucas - W6AER Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Yes, an option to just turn if off (and perhaps make it last longer while not being used) would also be a nice enhancement. Perhaps in can turn on by touching it? Bret, I do see your point for sure! I am glad you started the conversation about this.

But for those of us who split our time remote and local, I feel the OFF feature for remote users and the some more useful info for local users would be a pretty cool feature and would make both camps happy. In my case, I am in both camps.
  • Lucas - W6AER
    Lucas - W6AER Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    An other idea just hit my file playing around with the HRD software. Why not have a greyline map on the M series displays when not really used (as in controlled via a PC)? This would not only look REALLY good but also be very useful and other info such as what I mentioned above could still be displayed in the corner, etc. This would really differentiate the product and draw in folks at trades hows too. I know I would love this! It would NOT be hard to implement actually. Could even write something to toggle grid zones (HRD has this) or CQ zones on it but now I am pushing it...I am curious to see if others would like to see this feature. It be nice to have it in front of me as an extra screen at times.
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    next thing you know you'll want to see spots posted on it  too  ;-O
  • kc4zze
    kc4zze Member
    edited September 2022
    [{"insert":"It would be nice to have a screen saver and a clock. I sat a clock next to the 6400M so I could see when 2 minutes have passed for DC Supply Power ON before powering on Radio and for Radio OFF wait 2 minutes to power down the DC Power Supply.\n\n"}]
  • I use Flex Radio 6400M.
    There is a burn-in phenomenon on its monitor and a phenomenon of left and right lines. I want to know the specifications of the touch monitor used in this model's product.

If possible, I would like to purchase parts with the same specifications as the monitor and replace them in Korea.

Please let me know if any of you who read this know the model.

It will help me a lot.

Thank you.
  • Cono
    Cono Member ✭✭

Hello, This is sad because I just purchased a pre-loved 6600M less than a month ago with screen burn-in. The display and Power Management settings were turned up to maximum this is how it was sent to me. I turned them down to a quarter and I still notice a little the ghost and the end of the day. That alone will effect the resale value of my radio. The 6400M I sold to buy this one didn't have this issue! :-(

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.