6600 Update

• Praise
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • (Edited)

FlexRadio Systems

Dear Valued Customer,

Happy New Year!

Now that we have the holidays behind us we are glad to have our team back in full force.  As stated in my last communication on December 23rd, we have a significant number of new radios in field test so that we can identify any remaining software issues before general availability.  Since all radios run SmartSDR, we also have to make sure that we have sufficient test time on all earlier FLEX-6X00 Series radios.  Our test team gave us a lot of good feedback based on their operation over the holidays.  Let me assure you that there are no major issues - just a lot of little clean up things that need to get done before release.  

I have been operating the FLEX-6600M at home and find it a dream to use.  It was fun to make contact with several Flexers over the holidays on my new rig.  

Of course it is easy for me to say it is a dream to use so we thought we would provide you some feedback directly from some of those who are putting their new radio through the paces. From their experience we know you will agree that it was worth the wait.

" What can I say about my Flex-6600.  Let's see.  Seamless SO2R contesting in one radio.  Best in class receiver, clean transmit signals, everything you could want in a transceiver.  Coupled with the Power Genius amplifier and the effortless station integration enabled by the latest SSDR software, this radio fulfills the promise of the Flex Ecosystem.

I installed my FLEX-6600 on a shelf below the operating desk as you can see in the image I enclosed.  It is quiet, unassuming - just sits there and works.  It has been an honor for me to be an Alpha tester and to work with the Flex Radio team to evolve the Flex-6x00 series radios.  They are a contester's and DXer's dream.  You will be happy when you get yours.

Bill Axelrod - K3WA "

" I had the pleasure of testing the Flex 6600-M/Power Genius XL amplifier at the highest competitive level during the ARRL RTTY roundup 2018.  It took me about 20 minutes to bring the entire SO2R setup, including the transceiver and lightweight amplifier into the N6RO superstation from my truck, plug it in to power and LAN and start my pre contest checks, it was literally plug and play.  In competition,  The FLEX-6600M and Power Genius XL combination handled the demanding load of full legal limit SO2R RTTY at top competitive duty cycles without a single hiccup for the entire contest!  The integration of Smart SDR 2.X/SmartSDR-M and Power Genius worked very well, allowing LAN based keying of the amp, and full band/mode control from the FLEX-6600M. Because of this LAN based control, and the Power Genius XL control/meter application, I was able to move the amp outside of the operating area, It can even be in a different room!

The easy setup and full integration  of the FLEX-6600M and Power Genius XL allowed me to keep my focus on operating SO2R, producing one of the highest world scores in my operating category.  The FLEX-6600M touch panel display and control interface worked great, and the display was sharp and easy to look at.   I had loads of fun competing with this setup.  Bottom line, 1 transceiver, 1 amplifier, operating full SO2R, transmitting on band A while listening on band B, and vice versa, even dualing cq's!  Congratulations to FlexRadio and 4O3A for advancing the art of SO2R RTTY contesting to a new level.  This setup blew me away with amazement.. not an easy thing to do!  This is game changing technology, and upon its release the flex contesting community is in for a treat.

Chris Tate
N6WM
Contester
VP/Contest Chairman, NCCC
Flex Radio Systems Community Contesting Champion "

" The 6600 is unreal...I put it through its paces in the RTTY RU this weekend. It passed with flying colors.

I really think there needs to be a separate contest category for Flex users. It is totally unfair to the other non-Flex participants. Spread the panadapter and click on a signal and 'BAM' , you are decoding. (pardon my enthusiasm!)  

73 Lou N2TU "

Thank you again for your continued support!

Gerald
K5SDR
Photo of Mike, W8BE

Mike, W8BE

• 172 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9198 Posts
  • 3558 Reply Likes
After a review of this post, I feel that all sides of the issue have been clearly expressed and Gerald has acknowledged the concerns and provided a thorough response to the various "when" questions.  Therefore I am inclined to close this post at this time.  Thanks to everyone who provided constructive feedback.  Now back to work getting the radios ready for shipment.  73

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.