6600 plug sizes?

• Question
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • Answered
Hi all,

I broke down and ordered a 6600 which I know will be quite a few weeks out for delivery.  I think it was the two SCUs and the better filters that made me jump.

I am curious about the mic/key/speaker plugs on the back.  I've seen in the forums here that they are 1/8 inch.  Is that correct?   I just want to make sure to order the right ones.

Are they all TRS format?

I just want to make sure of the size because I'd like to order some connectors and get some cables made up in preparation.
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1026 Posts
  • 364 Reply Likes

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1209 Posts
  • 249 Reply Likes
The speakers, headphones, and pseudo-balanced mic connectors are 1/8" TRS (3.5 mm).

There is a 1/4" TRS for balanced TX audio in.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1059 Posts
  • 224 Reply Likes
Mark, they later added the 1/4" on the 6600 so there is a 1/8" mic and 1/4" pseudo balanced.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9152 Posts
  • 3479 Reply Likes
That is not entirely correct.  the 1/8" TRS is pseudo balanced and the 1/4" TRS is balanced.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1059 Posts
  • 224 Reply Likes
You have not read the rest of thread :)
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1026 Posts
  • 364 Reply Likes
David and Rich,

Thanks.  So I was not going crazy looking at the picture on the web where I could not find a 1/4 inch.

So my plan is to mount this radio in my radio shed.  I hope to run a key to it but I may be doing only PC audio.  We'll have to see.  If I do powered speakers or mic then I can easily run the cables to it.

I'm hoping to do PC audio to help eliminate any RFI.
Photo of K3SF

K3SF

• 196 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
the 1/8" TRS is for the mic is pseudo balance BUT the 1/4" TRS is  balanced...

Paul K3SF
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1051 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
OK, I thought they both were.  I know it was something they added after the fact.
Photo of K3SF

K3SF

• 196 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
yep...they added 1/4" after some 'discussions' on the group about balanced mic input

The balance mic input is a welcomed addition.

There are XLR to 1/4" adapter out available form amazon..
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1051 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
Yea I am thrilled to have the 1/4" addition as that is what I am using on the 6500. Glad Flex added that for us.

The only change I had to plan for was a 1/8" headphone cable "extension"  to get it around to front where I could use it.

• 1209 Posts
  • 249 Reply Likes
I made a 16" extension cable with right angle 1/8" TRS plug to 1/4" inline jack. It sticks out from under the front of the radio so I can easily plug in headphones.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1026 Posts
  • 364 Reply Likes
So are there both 1/8 and 1/4 TRS mic inputs?

Where is the 1/4 one located?
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1051 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
Most all the pictures you see are the split rear panel prototypes. The only real rear panel I have seen is a picture of the 6400.

The quick start guide is not up to date on the site as far as I know but the manual is correct.
(Edited)

• 1209 Posts
  • 249 Reply Likes
That diagram is correct. It is located above the accy jack.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1026 Posts
  • 364 Reply Likes
Awesome!  Thanks!
Photo of KM6CQ - Dan

KM6CQ - Dan

• 171 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
Congrats Mark. I sold my 6500 and ordered a 6600 for the same reason. I changed my mic XLR cable to a TRS 1/4 today, it might show up this week. I don't want to waste time soldering when I should be plug and playing.

I found this on their website tonight. 
(Edited)
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1026 Posts
  • 364 Reply Likes
Thanks Dan.  I can't wait to hear your 6600 on the air.  I know mine is months away but I still have my 6500 until then.

I guess the question I still have is what (if any) is the difference between the 1/4 and 1/8 mic inputs?  IE I can easily get 1/8 TRS cable/connectors.  What is the benefit/purpose of the 1/4 over the 1/8?

I have considered going to all PC audio and using a PC USB mic.  But yesterday I worked K8NY and received a comment of "fantastic audio" which currently is done using some external processing then into the XLR port.

So when the 6600 arrives I need to make some decisions.  I'll probably stick with my external audio because I need to run the wires for it and I can always use PC audio as there is really no wiring to be done.

I never thought I'd op phone as much as I am.  I love CW most of all but I find on Saturdays I like to join this group up on 7.165 or so and they are all audio buffs.  So I had to have some reasonable sounding audio.
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 411 Posts
  • 174 Reply Likes
Mark - the 1/4" jack is a balanced, differential input. The 1/8" jack is not. Your 6500 is sounding quite good but the guys with the Anan 8000's sound spectacular. 
(Edited)
Photo of Mark WS7M

Mark WS7M

• 429 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
Ok I probably could have figured that out if I'd read above.  LOL...

Thanks!
Photo of KM6CQ - Dan

KM6CQ - Dan

• 171 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
I think the 1/8 is more like fake balanced audio. I suspect the ground and mic low are tied together. That would be pins 1 and 3 on the XLR connector. The 1/4 is jack is true balanced audio. Which is great. It is very immune to interference because the two mic wires are out of phase. Initially they had dropped the balance audio feature which was a huge step back from the 6500. I think they went to a 1/4 TRS because its cheaper then an XLR but it is still effective. We will not be plugging in every day and dragging the mic cable around the radio room. So I do not see a problem, just not as cool. I present all my equipment with the same audio signal. I use a 528e Symetrix with balanced outputs. It works very nice. I think I have it set up so that sounds like me on the air, not like a FM broadcaster. My friends tell this, and I have recorded myself many times to get it right. 

• 1207 Posts
  • 247 Reply Likes
I use the W2IHY equipment and found the pseudo balanced input to be a better match than the balanced input on the 6600.

I've used to balanced input for years on the 6700 and 6500.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1042 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
Dave, do you mean as far as levels?

• 1207 Posts
  • 247 Reply Likes
No, EQ'ing. 

I believe the W2IHY EQ Plus I believe is pseudo-balanced out so I find it matches better using pseudo-balanced in. Audio reports are "cleaner" audio when comparing both input driven at same level.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1042 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
Gotcha,

I am running a EQplus (sorta) but not really using it for EQ or effects.  I also have an iPlus which generally needs a little amplification prior so I have kept the EQplus inline.to provide that. Not to mention I like the vertical LED graph as an indication of a live mike. Waste of technology really.

I am running into the 1/4" balanced input on the 6500 at the moment but in all honesty I have never found any difference between foster and balanced in my shack

The only reason I went balanced was because I had an early 6300 with RF mic issues (which flex later resolved). I switched to 6500 and balanced hoping to get away from it.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1059 Posts
  • 224 Reply Likes
This is the only picture I have found online. Extracted from a video.

As you can see its not the prototype split panel that you see on the flex site. So here is your balanced input.

Nice looking rear panel :)
(Edited)