6600 On the Air!

• Praise
  • Updated 7 months ago
From unboxing to on-air, including updating firmware and adding a GPS module: Less than an hour. Maybe because I’ve been on a knob rig for a month, but OH, what a pleasure to operate again! Things do seem a bit peppier, more responsive. The new, larger fan is wonderfully quiet.

Mark me down as being 100% satisfied moving up from a 6500. Nice work, FRS.
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1561 Posts
  • 552 Reply Likes
  • very satisfied

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Kevin - KS0CW

Kevin - KS0CW

• 87 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Will see how long it takes me to go from rig less for a month tomorrow... Big Brown is scheduled to deliver a 6600 to fill the void left by the 6300. A plus did come from the wait, I made impressive progress on the honey do list from her perspective... :)
Photo of Kevin - KS0CW

Kevin - KS0CW

• 87 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Out of the box, connected and profiles imported in under 10Mins... 
It is working like a champ and PA temp is considerably cooler than the 6300 was all without fan noise -- :) 
Nice work FRS... well worth the wait.
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 994 Posts
  • 354 Reply Likes
Congrats George!   

Now that you have had it like a day or so do you think the receiver is better than your previous flex?
(Edited)

• 1561 Posts
  • 552 Reply Likes
Hard to say since I am in a different location with different antennas. I can very clearly tell the difference between it and the interim rig (Yaesu FT857d). Boot time seems slightly faster than the 6500, and operation seems smoother with the Flex Knob.
Photo of KM6CQ - Dan

KM6CQ - Dan

• 170 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
I have had mine since Friday. The Flex knob works very well. The TX audio is not real clean like on my 6500 and 7300. Not sure why yet. I have it isolated to the radio. I can run 1 watt into a dummy load, plug in a shure SM57 strait into the Bal input, use the hand mike, or the Iphone internal mic and it is still there. I have even used all the above mics with the computer off just running the IOS app. Maybe it is the firmware? I don't know.
Have you noticed anything George?

Dan
Photo of Terry T

Terry T

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Dan, come on in the morning so the group can talk to.
Terry
K7NY
Photo of KM6CQ - Dan

KM6CQ - Dan

• 170 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
Okay Terry.

• 1561 Posts
  • 552 Reply Likes
I haven’t, Dan. But I don't spend a lot of time on phone, either. Will take a peek soon.
(Edited)
Photo of Gary  w8vi

Gary w8vi

• 35 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Getting compliments here on the audio from the 6600. Was on 75 meters last night setting up a RE27 mic and Pro 7 headset with a group that knows my voice from having used the 6300. I use a studio projects vtb1 mic preamp into the balanced input. 

All liked the audio better from the 6600, could be the balanced input or slight change in EQ settings.