Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6600 (non M) boot failure.

Paul G4AFU
Paul G4AFU Member ✭✭
6600 (non M, with latest software) boot failure Sunday 14th Oct 2018....3 red flashes of doom. Tried a hard reset to no avail.. Not a good start after a few days of use. Will contact my GB supplier, Waters & Stanton Monday morning. 

Comments

• WQ2H - Jim Poulette
    edited March 2020
    Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear - when you say "hard boot" - did you not turn the power switch off but pulled out the DC power connections, then reconnect them and turn it back on?

Another method I heard was similar to that, but disconnect all other connections before you reconnect the power connections. if it does boot, turn it off normally, reconnect your I/O, then turn it on as usual.

Good luck.
    Jim, WQ2H
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Try starting the radio with network cable disconnected.  Try several times.  If you can get it to boot then try to configure a static IP address for the radio.  There is a documented issue with the radio having issues booting when unable to obtain an IP address.  
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
  • Paul G4AFU
    Paul G4AFU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Jim/Joe,
    Thanks for the response....FYI I'm using link local to the Maestro with direct ethernet cable into the Flex. I have not yet got so far as connecting to my shack pc. I did another hard boot by disconnecting the powerpole connector for a few minutes and then re-connecting; no difference, 3 red flashes. I also disconnected the ethernet cable and tried another boot to no avail. 
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Do you have a local area network switch port that you can plug the radio into? This would be something like a port on your internet router that your shack pc is also plugged into. Just trying to see if it will boot outside of link local.
  • Paul G4AFU
    Paul G4AFU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thanks Joe....No, The router is downstairs and the upstairs shack pc is connected via wi-fi. The Flex is now boxed up and has to go the German repair centre for a software rebuild The dealer I bought it from (Waters & Stanton) is organising this. It could take some time I suspect. 
  • Neil Rogers
    Neil Rogers Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Hi Paul,
    I had to same issue here with lost configuration last week.
    Lucky my uk supplier quickly sorted and turn it around in 2 days, so hopefully you should get it back quickly.
    Unfortunately, I had not exported the profiles, a step worth doing.

Good luck Neil g0ggg
  • N3RC
    N3RC Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Same issue. 6600 about a month old.  Upgraded to 2.4.9 from 2.3.9, couldnt get WJST to work so attempted to downgrade back to 2.3.9 unsucessfully, now just get red blink of death.  Unplugged LAN and  PowerPoles, still no joy!!!!!! RTTY Contest starts in 30min-Grrrrrrrrr!!!

Is it worth trying hard factory reset?

Roger N3RC
  • N3RC
    N3RC Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Same issue. 6600 about a month old.  Upgraded to 2.4.9 from 2.3.9, couldnt get WJST to work so attempted to downgrade back to 2.3.9 unsucessfully, now just get red blink of death.  Unplugged LAN and  PowerPoles, still no joy!!!!!! RTTY Contest starts in 30min-Grrrrrrrrr!!!

Is it worth trying hard factory reset?

Roger N3RC
  • N3RC
    N3RC Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Attempted update from 2.3.9 to 2.4.9, appeared to work but couldnt get WSJT-X
    to work so attempted downgrade to 2.3.9 which failed, now get 3 red rights.
    Have unplugged LAN Powerpoles and attempted a factory reset all to no avail.
    The JARTS contest started 7 minutes ago and now need to get a backup rig active. Its troubling since I see that quite a few 6600 folks have had this problem. 
    Just sold my K3 and 7610 off this week I have been so happy with 6600. Now must run contest        with old TS-2000, Grrrrrrrr!
    73  Roger N3RC

• Paul G4AFU
    Paul G4AFU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Roger,
    I'm using my old TS480SAT.....Thank goodness for Kenwood reliability. Like you, I sold my ten year old K3. It was hammered relentlessly in contests and DXing and neve once let me down. I hope when the Flex comes back from Germany it approaches something like that.  Somehow I don't think so. 
  • Paul G4AFU
    Paul G4AFU Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Neil, It's going to Germany for a software rebuilt so I don't expect it back in a hurry.
  • Alan Holdsworth g8oo
    edited October 2018

I had a boot up failure with the start button flashing on my 6600.

I raising a support ticket with Flex then contact my supplier and to be fair M&L repaired mine overnight they also arranged transport both ways and I was only off the air for 4 days.

• Paul G4AFU
    Paul G4AFU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    What kind of start up failure was it? Mine was boot failure....3 red flashes of doom last Sunday. Rig was collected yesterday ;Friday so not exactly fast off the grid after emailing PM Sunday. 
  • Alan Holdsworth g8oo
    edited October 2018

HI Paul

I had the three flashing light problem and am guessing that 1 or 2 of the first batch of 6600 into the UK had the same problem.

As I understand they simply re-load the bios or change the bios board with new one.

De Alan Holdsworth g8oo

• iw2clm
    iw2clm Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I get same problem with 6600, I'm waiting to solve with local Flex dealer.
    I'm experienced in firmware development and for what I see the CPU is booting system from an internal uSD Card... If this is true, it's weird idea for what It can happen during shutdown (cut power to early for example) to the internal SD file system ... I hope that sd card is just for memory, recording and profiles, not for os itself ...
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    If while working with the Help Desk Flex determins that the SD card is corrupt, they will send you a new one pronto  that you can replace with.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.