Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6600 M using the 2 USB ports ?

Ed N5DG
Ed N5DG Member
Will the two USB ports on the back of the 6600M support the USB to serial FTDI drivers without connecting to a computer using SSDR  ?

Thanks Ed N5DG

Answers

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    yes if the cables or devices use a actual FTDI chipset like the USB to RS-232 adapters, relay control boards and such. 
    If you have higher current devices (like relay Boards) or more then 2 USB ports you can add a POWERED USB hub for more capability.
    I have had up to 8 devices on my Flex6700 with the 2 meter AMP, HF AMP, my ATAuto tuner to pre-tune it for the band changes, and my Relay board to switch antenna's. 

I run my station remote so it has a lot of automation. 

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Ed N5DG
    Ed N5DG Member
    edited June 2020
    Burt Thanks , I'm helping a friend who has the 6600M , after sending my message I downloaded the 6400M / 6600M User Guide so think we'll be alright. 
    Thanks have fun , Ed N5DG 
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited November 2018
    Ed, do you have the USB cable guide? https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/usb-cable-interface-guide-pdf/ I am using the Sain Smart USB 8 board driving my antenna switch. Dave wo2x
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    You mention the ATAuto tuner.  I assume you mean the original AT-Auto sold by PalStar.  If that is the case what does using the usb to rs232 provide?  Will the AT start tuning using the usb-rs232 as soon as the band change occurs so keying up the radio is not required?  The manual is not too clear on this.

Don - kx9q
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Hi Don, I use a FTDI rs-232 cable that goes to the rs-232 on the Tuner and YES it does follow the Radio frequency not only band to band but frequency and moves the tuner as you tune up and down the band to your pre-set memories for those frequencies once you have them set. 
    I have upgraded to the Kessler engineering firmware http://kesslerengineeringllc.com/ who supports the AT-Auto  I think the new firmware is required and the settings in the radio "USB Settings" the rs-232 cable set to "CAT" and "follow the TX Slice" in advanced set to 9600 baud. 
    Be sure to set the Serial speed in the tuner to 9600 to match the Radio, instructions to set the tuner baud rate is in the Tuner firmware manual.

I think that's all

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Hi Bret

Thank you for the information.  That will be one of my tasks for today to get the AT set up and working with the 6700.  I am waiting for the new amp but I suspect that may be a month or two away.

Don - kx9q
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I wish Flex would make these USB ports easier to control on and off from SSDR with one click. I have AT-AUTO, HF-AUTO and a SteppIR vertical that I don't want following the radio all the time.  With the SteppIR box I can change to manual but would be nice to control these things from the Flex with custom labels. As far as that goes I can switch the tuners to manual as well but in my setup its not very convenient.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I'm not sure yet if it is in  "profiles"  but it would be nice to have it so you could have a different profile to Enable and Disable the individual USB device to do exactly what your needing.
    Maybe as more and more of us start running remote there will be a bigger voice that this can be added.
    Be a good addition for sure.
    Bret
    wx7y
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I dont think the USB settings are included in any profiles as far as I know. Has not worked for me.

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    This is what I would like to see.

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I made the changes to the AT-AUTO and plugged the cable in and it worked as advertised.  There is a question I have regarding the Auto-report (Enabled/Disabled).  Just what is this reporting and how will you know whether it should be enabled or disabled?  By default it comes disabled, however, for the AT-AUTO it is supposed to be enabled.  I read the USB Cable manual but I did not find any mention of this option.

Don - kx9q
  • Jeff Schwartz
    Jeff Schwartz Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    With a USB hub on one of the Flex USB plugs you can have multiple devices (more than the two USB plugs available on the Flex) hooked up to the Flex. I have the SteppIR, ACOM 2000A and the Elecraft KPA 15000 all hooked up and controlled from the 6600M without the computer involved in any way. So many options for direct control not involving a desktop or laptop computer.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.