Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6600 keying - external keyer - 80 meters - self keys. Other bands okay

John S Comella
John S Comella Member ✭✭
6600 - keys properly on all bands with external keyer except 80 meters.  Continuous keying after initial key down.  Turn off 6600 to stop keying.  Okay on other bands and okay into dummy load.  Ferrite beads everywhere but problem continues.  Swapped 6600 with IC-7300.  No keying issues with IC-7300

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    This does sound like an RF problem, and I have had my share.  My latest nightmare on  my remote station was related to a 2M long patch cable that gave me high SWR only on 6M.  

Do you have a dummy load you can test into?  If it works into a dummy load as expected, then we need to look outside the radio.

As a similar test, what happens if you reduce the RF level of the radio to 50 watts or 5 watts?

Mike

• John S Comella
    John S Comella Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Mike, thanks for your info.  No problem at reduced power and into dummy load.  Problem starts at about the 45 watt level, so most likely it's something outside the radio.  I'll check cables.
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I do not remember if i had the same issue or not about 6month ago, but I could not TX more than 30-40w. I found that that Amps limit on Astrron VS-35M was set too low. Just something to check.
    Sergey, KN7K
  • John S Comella
    John S Comella Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Keying issue resolved.  I was using an outboard keyer and N1MM computer keying.  Fed each cable into a "Y" connector that plugged into the 6600 key port.  I noticed that disconnecting one cable or the other from the "Y" eliminated the keying problem.

I replaced the outboard keyer with a K1EL WinKeyer.  The WinKeyer is connected to the computer via a  USB cable.  Only one cable into the 6600 key port from the computer.  No key cable from the WinKeyer to the 6600 key port is needed, thus no "Y" connector and two cables.  N1MM keys the 6600 and I can also key the 6600 with my paddle.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.