6600 filters

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Will the 6600's band filters include a 7th order 6 meter one? Living close to TV channel 2, I can use all the help I can get. The 6500 is great, of course, but always looking for that extra dB.
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1594 Posts
  • 561 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9152 Posts
  • 3479 Reply Likes
No, 6m will have a 3rd order filter.  Only the HF contest bands have the 7th order filters.
Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 545 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Tim - Any chance FRS can eventually make the 7th order filters available (via external port connections) for the 6700?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9152 Posts
  • 3479 Reply Likes
The 6700 does not have 7th order filters
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2271 Posts
  • 904 Reply Likes
You can add external filters either through the rx loop or external to the trx, as I do.

• 1594 Posts
  • 561 Reply Likes
I think he was asking if FRS would sell the filters as outboard components.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9152 Posts
  • 3479 Reply Likes
 We have no plans to make the new filters available for other radios.

• 1594 Posts
  • 561 Reply Likes
Thanks, Tim. Not a problem , really.
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 538 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes

George,

You'll likely not have those issues these days.

In 2009 the new digital on-air channels (8VSB) became the rule.

Channel 2,3,4 (I don't recall right now where it begins OTOH) do not exist any more on the TV bands as the spectrum was sold off to other commercial interests.

In the Chicago area channel 2 is really on channel 12 but digitally signs as channel 2.1 and 2.2 (8VSB).

The only place that real channel 2 exists is in small TV head-ends (closed cable systems).
I run one of those at the hospital I work for and I am taking channel 12.1 and injecting it on to our system at channel 2 but it signs as 2.1 and 2.2 1080p. (would not matter what channel I placed it at would still sign as 2.1 and 2.2)

So 6m issues are more or less a thing of the past since the low end of the TV spectrum was abandoned for that use.

Clay N9IO

(Edited)
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2271 Posts
  • 904 Reply Likes
Channels 2-4 do still exist. However they are mostly lower power stations. The original licensees did move higher up. For example, in the NYC DMA we have WKOB-LD on physical channel 2 which has retro movies and religious TV. They have a CP to relocate to high UHF (ch 42) but that plan is likely to not happen since the FCC is looking to reclaim that spectrum. 
(Edited)
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 538 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes

Hi Ria,

OK learn something new every day and thank you for the info.

Although none of those channels are active where it effects me in Chicagoland.
I don't know the specifics but the last hold out in Chicago was ABC7,
some years back they were simulcasting on both 7 and 44 but what I understood
is they were forced into UHF exclusively at 44 where they are today.

One morning I got in to work only to get hit with multiple complaints that Ch 7 and sub channels were black.
I didn't have any clue at the time what had happened except after making some calls I learned of the that VHF 7 had been killed permanently.

Fortunately an easy fix, only had to take them off the VHF antenna and move over to my UHF and reconfigure the demodulator.

The only Chicago 8VSB channel of the 11 that I am airing here that is in the VHF band is CBS 2 that is physically on VHF Channel 12.  That's the lowest channel here.
All others are on UHF.

Clay N9IO

(Edited)
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2271 Posts
  • 904 Reply Likes
There's one low vhf in Chicago, that's WOCK-CD. It carries among other things Arirang which is a Korean channel for foreign audiences.

I took interest in this because I was hoping the FCC would give us a 4m band but they declined the petition by Glenn Zook (K9STH) and indicated that those channels would still be very much in use especially when OTA TV is crammed further down to make room for mobile broadband services.
(Edited)

• 1594 Posts
  • 561 Reply Likes
Oh yes, there's a full power TV 2 a couple miles from my house. I'm Chief Engineer at a Ch 11 nearby. And as the repack begins, look for more low VHF action.