Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6600 boot failure (power light flashes 3 times) while upgrading from V3.1.8 to V3.1.12

Options
Ronald Panetta
Ronald Panetta Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
 I just updated SmartSDR and Maestro from 3.1.8 to 3.1.12 and now have a boot failure (3X red power button). Process was:

• 6600 (not an M) had been powered up for months
  • From SmartSDR V3.1.8 I backed up the configuration per the release notes. I did not start the SmartSDR V3.1.12 at that time.
  • I shut down the 6600 via the power button
  • I removed DC power from the back of the 6600 and waited about a minute before reconnecting power (cold boot per release notes)
  • I powered the 6600 back on. Green light blinks for about 20 times (approximately), then a "studder" in the blinking sequence, then green light continues to blink and finally ends with 3X blinking red power button which appears to be a boot failure from other posts.
  • I repeated the boot sequence at least three times without any different results.
Thoughts?
Thanks, Ron

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Hi Ron, I think the next step is to do a factory reset.  From the SmartSDR manual:
    FLEX-6300, FLEX-6400/M, FLEX-6600/M Reset Procedure
    With the radio powered off, press and hold down the power button until the Power LED blinks white, then release the power button. Allow the radio to continue booting normally.

Hopefully, that will do it...
    Len, KD0RC

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    In my case, I have seen that when I had a unique set of other client apps( Logging programs, modem apps ) trying to connect while the radio was rebooting.  Try booting with just the radio and SSDR trying to connect during bootup.  Might also try it without an internet connection ( LAN connected to radio & PC but router disconnected from the internet). If that succeeds than reconnect the internet.  

AL, K0VM
  • Ronald Panetta
    Ronald Panetta Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Will try in the AM. Current banned from basement (shack location) as son sleeping in his man cave for early AM work. 

73, Ron, WB2WGH
  • Ronald Panetta
    Ronald Panetta Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Will try hard reset first per Len's suggestion. If that fails I'll try yours. Have to wait until the AM. Current banned from basement (shack location) as son sleeping in his man cave for early AM work. 

73, Ron, WB2WGH
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    If you can chance going down to the radio before bed time unplug the DC power and leave it unplugged overnight, this has helped a few people I have talked to and the radio booted up the next morning. 
    If this doesn't work then be sure to do a support ticket 
    Bret
    WX7Y

• K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    disconnect power for 2 minutes
    connect power for two minutes before touching the power button
    press and hold the power button  for about 5 seconds until it turns white
    If you still get 3 red blinks you likely have a corrupted SD card.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I have created a support ticket for this.  Due to Monday being a holiday, it might take them a few days to respond.
  • Ronald Panetta
    Ronald Panetta Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    So I tried most of the suggestions without any luck:
    • Power off from 4:30AM until 10AM, then power on, wait about 30 minutes, single press of power button
    • Disconnect 6600 from the network single press of the power button
    • Hard reset (one comment, the white LED seem to be steady and not blink
    All result in 3X blinking red. Michael Walker opened up a ticket on my behalf so I will follow up with FlexRadio tech support. Thanks all for the suggestions and thanks MIchael for the proactive ticket!

73, Ron, WB2WGH
  • Larry A.  NN5O
    Larry A. NN5O Member ✭✭
    Options

Here we go again.... 3 red blinks of the power button.

And, when this happened the last time, Flex sent me a new SD card. It worked for a couple of months, then...dive bombing.

Running SSDR Ver. 3.1.12 on 6600M

Tried the factory reset routine. Unplugged power source overnight. Reconnected power source, then left it alone for about 3 hours, returned to radio and pressed power button until white light appeared. But, when it gets to the "Please wait...." portion, the trusty power button starts blinking red 3 times, in repeated succession.

C'est la vie, I suppose.

--Larry Anderson NN5O -- Tupelo, MS

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.