Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6500 won't show up in "Available Radios" after working fine

Lee Scheppmann
edited October 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Flex 6500 stopped showing up on selectable radio(s). This happened today on start-up. Tried 6500 power reset and smart SDR reset to no avail. Has been working fine, and I have made no changes. 6500 goes thru calibration and comes up with "FLEX-6500" on the display as normal. I am dead in the water. Is the problem with the 6500 of Smart SDR sw? OS= Win XP w/ SP3

Comments

• Dudley-WA5QPZ
    Dudley-WA5QPZ Inactive Employee
    edited March 2018
    Have you tried removing the DC ? Other than that it could be a network issue .
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited December 2013
    I get this 99% of the time. The radio does not shut down normally...have to hit the button twice. When I go to use the radio again I always have to open SSDR, close it and reopen it again for the radio to show up.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I though that was the way the radio shut off. I have to do the same issue: I turn the radio off and then reopen it. The radio may come on, but there are no signals present on the panadapter. As a result, I end up turning the radio off. I hope that the I/O switch will not wear out. Perhaps, Flex may consider; that when you "EXIT" the unit goes off and just leave it at the stage where the "ORANGE" light stays on for the GPS. (if I have that correct) This will avoid an early wear our of the I/O switch.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I think the way you suggest is how it is supposed to work...and it did in the past. Now something seems to be keeping it from shutting down correctly. 1 push should give shutting down message and the LED should stay on in amber (I think) to keep the GPS active. As is, 1 push does nothing (on rare occaisions it does say shutting down with one push...very rare). A second push shuts down VERY quickly and the GPS pulsing is present in the attached powered speakers.
  • Ed_NZ1Q
    Ed_NZ1Q Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Greg, I've had a set of similar problems with not seeing the 6500 in the SSDR list. worked for months and then had a problem, but just on one PC. I'm still working through that issue now. However, I do have the same shut down issues and they seem to have started at the time of this missing rig in the SSDR list. I still see that the double push is now required almost all of the time and yes, the second push turns off the rig immediately. Hope I'm not chasing the wrong problem. My post is titled "SmartSDR no longer finds the 6500. Worked for several weeks then nothing. Any suggestions?"
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Maybe an update changed your firewall settings? I would first remove power from the radio....wait a minute and then reconnect the powerpole connector. Reboot the computer If those don't work, check your firewall and make sure SSDR and SCat are allowed to send and receive through the firewall. I think in Win7 it is called inbound and outbound rules. I know when I tried to run SSDR from a laptop wirelessly in the house I could not see the radio until I set those rules correctly. GL! Greg
  • Ed_NZ1Q
    Ed_NZ1Q Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Greg, if you were commenting on my post about a similar problem, I had been tracking the firewall lead down. Disabling and uninstalling all firewalls and anti spam software did not help. A couple of the Flex guys helped me off line. We were able to collect the packets from the radio coming into the PC, but SSDR would never see the radio. I uninstalled most of the software on the PC. No help. What started the problem in my case was a Trojan that got into that one PC. I had cleared it out, but SSDR never worked after that. Uninstalling, reinstalling both versions of SSDR did not help.. So we attributed it to something the Trojan did and I chose to just format the disk and start over. That did fix my problem with this one PC, others still work fine. On the other hand, I will follow the "2 pushes of the off button" to see if that leads anywhere. Thanks.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015
    That GPS pulsing is very annoying for my dear wife, who works from home. Specially in the early mornings (4:00 AM). I had to show her what button to push to make it go away! The radio will (at least mine has) shut off with one push. However, it takes a long, long time to go off eventually.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    There are several GPSDO issues that will be addressed in SmartSDR v1.1.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.