Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6500 scratchy audio?

Options
NZ8J
NZ8J Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I'm noticing more and more that the receive audio has a "scratchy or clicking" sound when I tune through a signal, both ssb and cw. Normal tuning on a quiet band with no signals is fine, no scratchy sounds, it only happens when I tune across a signal. Once I stop tuning its fine. I'm using a new dell computer running 64 bit windows 8.1 With an I5 processor and 8 gb memory. I have the radio plugged into my wireless router and am connected via wifi to the dell. Everything else operates normally, it's just the audio issue. It doesn't do it all the time, but it does so the majority of the time. I hear it both on the Bose powered speakers and the radio headphone output. I couldn't find anything in the archives specifically addressing this issue. Any ideas? Thanks Tim NZ8J

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

Try exiting the DAX and bring it up manually if you are using the DAX. If it is direct hardware, I have never had a problem with scratchy audio.

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Also, try plugging your computer DIRECTLY into the router. The WiFi is half duplex where direct connect is full duplex and has much faster throughput.
  • NZ8J
    NZ8J Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I connected the computer directly to the router and don't have DAX turned on, still the same symptoms. I'm not quite sure what DAX would have to do with my issue, I only use DAX for RTTY occasionally. I also now notice that on a spot on the band where there are no signals if I quickly adjust the audio level control it sounds exactly like a dirty **** in the speakers and headphones. Adjusting the AGC-T rapidly does not cause the same problem. It seems like when the radio encounters a rapid increase in volume, either by tuning across a strong signal or quickly increasing the audio level by changing the audio control is when I get the scratching or crackling. Any other suggestions to try...? Thanks Tim NZ8J
  • Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I also hear scratchy audio through Bose headphones with v1.1.3 and a 6700.  Thought it might be from my RemoteRig configuration, but I've turned off DAX and have a 1Gbps fiber Ethernet connection from the radio to my computer.  Will try some direct audio connection tests and report back.
  • iz7auh
    iz7auh Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Good morning,
    same problem here with my Flex-6500 on Win 8.1 x64 if reduce a AGC-T the problem is minor, I hope a resolution with 1.2 version
  • NZ8J
    NZ8J Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thanks to all for the responses, sounds like it's not just my setup. it's not a huge problem, just irritating and disappointing. Tim NZ8J

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.