Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6500, transverter and AR2 Preamp

dlwarnberg
dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Some time ago I purchased a Icom-9100 as I was wanting to do some SAT work.  Along with that I purchased the M2 eggbeater antenna kit (both 144 and 440) and a pair of preamps (AR2 MSP144VDG-160 with choke and MSP432VDG-160 with choke).  The Icom powered the preamps for me and removed power when I transmitted.

Fast forward to today, I sold the Icom-9100 to finance my flex-6300 trade up to a flex-6500.  I still have the antennas and the preamps.  I have also added two transverters, both Elecraft, one VX432 and a VX144 and have them built, aligned and tested.  So now I’m trying to figure out how to go about getting power to the preamps and removing power when transmitting and utilizing my 6500 for SAT work.

I have two options I think…

1) power the amps through the coax again.

2) power them via external connector.

I’m leaning the external connector but do not know how to handle the power off when transmitting, I’m assuming a sequencer, but what one?  How do they work?  What connections to the radio do I need?  Does the sequencer provide power to the preamps?

Looking for some guidance, instruction, information on the subject and if anyone has done this how did you handle the situation?

Thanks

David

Answers

• Jd Dupuy
    Jd Dupuy Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Hi David, there are a few options out there to handle what you are trying to do. Take a look here: http://www.w6pql.com/amplifier_control_board.htm and Here: http://www.w6pql.com/lna_sequencing_and_protection.htm. You can reach out to Jim, W6PQL via email if you need answers to anything. He's one smart cookie and one of the top notch builders of VHF/UHF gear for us High Banders.

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Thank you
  • kk4x
    kk4x Member
    edited January 2017
    try contacting Down East Microwave the make a Pre amp DC power inserter, < 1GHz. Type "N" conn (M) on Input, (F) on Output
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2017
    SSB makes excellent mast mounted preamps that are both RF sensing and have a control line for putting them in bypass mode when transmitting.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Advice.. not sure this is the place but here goes...  I have a M2 Sequencer model S3, I have a AR2 Preamp model MSP432VDG-160, I also have a Elecraft XV432 transverter..

Trying to determine the wiring for this setup.  I'm think this is correct but would like someone to verify it for me..

S3 - (I do not know what the jumpers should be set to)
    Pin 1 = +12V
    Pin 2 = Key line outside??
    Pin 3 = Ground for 12V
    Pin 4 = to terminal B on connector of AR2 preamp (provides ground to AR2)
    Pin 5 = to terminal A on AR2 (provides +12V)
    Pin 6 =
    Pin 7 = Center key??
    Pin 8 = 
    Pin 9 =

Where I'm confused the most is I assume there is a key line to be used.. right now there is a key line from the 6500 to the transverter, so from the transverter there would be a key line there to the S3 sequencer.. but there is a shield and a center connector.. which goes which...  outside shield = ground? and center is control?

Second part of my question would be what jumper settings to set in the S3 Sequencer?  Does the FLEX provide Ground to TX? 

Thanks

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.