Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6500 Power output

Barry Comer
Barry Comer Member
edited March 2017 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I have a 6500 that seem to be a little low on power. On 20 meters with SSDR 1.4 the power output is about 90 watts. This is after resetting the radio and stable voltage of 13.5 volts. The same power output was seen with SSDR 1.38. The SWR is flat but it is still short of 100 watts.
Same behaviour on the other band as well.

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Your supply voltage is a little low.  You need a solid 13.8 VDC at the radio when transmitting.  I usually run close to 14.0 VDC
  • SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited January 2017
    Maybe you should state how you measured the output power. SSDR meter or external meter?
  • Barry Comer
    Barry Comer Member
    edited May 2015
    Using FlexMeter I read 13.98V on RAD->+13.8A and 13.82 at idle.With the tune power set to 100 these drop to 13.46V on +13.8A and 13.3V on +13.8B.

Power output as indicated on SSDR RF Power meter.
  • Barry Comer
    Barry Comer Member
    edited May 2015
    The power supply meter shows a draw of about 22 amps at full tune power.
  • SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited December 2015

Barry,

You may have seen this already - big discussion about results similar to yours. Interesting that v1.4 was supposed to correct a 0.5dB internal loss. It does sound like you need to boost the supply voltage.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/my_6700_power_output_is_less_than_expected?topic-re...

• Barry Comer
    Barry Comer Member
    edited May 2015
    Can FRS confirm the 0.5db issue was corrected?
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I would be happy to get 90 watts?  Are people really getting more?  My 6500 and previous 6300 are lucky to get 80 watts into a properly tuned antenna or dummy load measured with either my PowerMaster or Telepost LP-100 meter.  I never run the rig without a solid state amp behind it.

TUNE with slider maxed out is 78 watts on the Array Solutions meter and 74.5 on the Powermaster. Voice peaks is similar.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    It was corrected.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Rich, if your power is that low into a dummy load, please submit a HelpDesk support ticket so we can investigate further.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    OK will do. I just thought it was typical as 6300 was same.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    In all fairness to Flex, I think its more a power issue than anything. I was not aware of the sequence to get the flex to display voltage on the front panel. This helped troubleshoot.

I have a WMR powercheck connected to my 50 amp Astron. Voltage is always good even under load. However when looking at voltage on Flex there is quite a drop. I am running heavy cables and anderson power poles with a rig runner on every shelf.  The Flex is the only thing that draws significant current so redid my cable setup so I only have 2' to first rig runner and 2' to Flex. So 4" total 10 gauge. Doing this brought me up about 10 watts or more. On 160 its still a little low at 88 but has jumped to 102 on 10 meters.

I doubt it is going to get any better with 3 fuses in line (rigrunner in, rigrunner out and 6500 fuse. Not to mention the power poles. Short of wiring direct I think I will call this good.

Thanks for Flex for speedy help.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.