6500 Max Power Supply Voltage

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago

I recently received a few reports of some minor distortion while using AM. Running the stacks program I discovered that the voltage measured at the finals at full output (using stacks program) was showing 12.4V, while the power supply was solidly set at 13.8V. In made a heavier power cable using 10 Ga copper wire, and also applied a small amount of conductive silver grease to the power connector, and to the internal fuse contacts. 12.4v now measures 13.1v and the distortion is gone. Since Flex does not provide a schematic for the 6500, I have a few questions that I’d like to have Flex answer.

1.       I’ve read that Flex uses a high side current sense resistor. Between that and the power cable it’s normal to see at least a 1 volt drop between the finals and the power supply. Is this true?

2.       I’ve also been told that Flex themselves runs the supply voltage high enough to produce 13.8V at the finals, as measured by the stacks program. How high can the power supply be safely set to?

3.       For an 8ft power cord run, is 10 Ga stranded copper wire adequate?

By the way, after doing the above on those bands where my max output was ~85W, it’s now easily producing 100W.

Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 498 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Be the first to post a reply!