Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6500, Maestro, CW Skimmer V2

K8AC
K8AC Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
New 6500 user, with Maestro, 2.4.9.  Trying to get CW Skimmer V2 working properly.  Have read all the posts here on the subject.  The basic problem is: there appears to be no communication of the 6500 frequency to and from Skimmer.  The IQ stream is working and signals are seen on Skimmer.  In setting up Skimmer, I note that there is no longer a CAT tab on setup.  So, it's not clear how the frequency info is passed between transceiver and Skimmer.  Levels of the software here are:

Skimmer - 2.0.0.393
SDR Bridge - 1.6.4.129
DAX Control - 2.4.9.196

PC is running Win 10, 64 bit.  Have read the NN4ZZ Quick Start Guide with no solution so far.  Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Answers

• Terry K8EET
    Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Have you tried using Slice Master?
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    The setup for Skimmer, and SDR Bridge does use CAT to pass the freq info.  So CAT has to be running but you don't have to set anything up in CAT.  The connections are behind the scenes. 

The freq info is passed via telnet and the telnet settings in SDR-Bridge and CW skimmer have to match.  The telnet settings are noted in the guide. 

Sometimes a PC reboot followed by starting the programs in this order below fixes the communications. 
    • SSDR (and CAT and DAX)
    • SDR-Bridge which will then start up CW Skimmer  
    • Staring up CW Skimmer by itself will sometimes result in multiple copies running and can cause confusion.  Best to let SDR-Bridge start up CW Skimmer. 
    Good luck and hope this helps.  FWIW I run this setup a lot and don't have issues but since I'm CW only I don't switch modes, etc and that may be why I've not had the issue myself. 

Regards,  Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• K8AC
    K8AC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    No - will look at that next.  Thanks.
  • K8AC
    K8AC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I went back through everything, uninstalled the software on the PC, wiped all associated files.  I read your document more closely this time and see that the only difference was I didn't wipe the files in the W2RF directory before.  At any rate, this time around everything works just fine!  I misunderstood the SDR-Bridge function and was starting CW Skimmer separately and that undoubtedly contributed to my confusion.  The last item I had missed was to right click on the slice in SDR-Bridge and select Split.   Now it works as I suspected it should.  One thing that would help would be a diagram showing all the pieces/parts and what flows between them.  

Anyway, thanks very much for the fast assistance.  I spend 99% of my time on CW and the other 1% on FT8.  The new 6500 configuration has resulted in my eliminating some hardware and a lot of cables.  I'm looking forward to the low band DX season and using the new rig.  73, Floyd - K8AC
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi Floyd, Glad you got it going. Per your suggestion, I created a diagram and sent it to Ed /W2RF to review. I’ll add it to the “quick start” guide once I get it finalized. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Floyd,
    The "quick start" guide for SDR-Bridge and CW Skimmer has been updated.  The new version is dated 6-Dec-2018.    It is accessible in a few places now and eventually Ed will update his link on QRV.COM.

The primary change is the addition of a basic data flow diagram.  Ed / W2RF has reviewed the diagram and given his approval.  There are some other minor changes as well. 

Here is a link to my page, the new file is listed in the "QUICK LINKS" section.

http://www.nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm

It is also available here:

https://groups.io/g/FlexRadioSmartSDR

Regards,  Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.