6500 is scanning up in frequency

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago

My 6500 is running SmartSdr v1.10.16.174 and Hw v1.10.16.91. On startup it begins scanning upward in frequency and I can only stop it by clicking the lock icon in the slice. The microphone and the cw key are not plugged in and there are no other applications active. It does it on all bands and all modes. This problem started while I was running SSDR v1.9.13, so I downloaded the latest version but, the problem persists.  I do not have a Maestro and I do not operate remote. The radio is connected to the computer via Ethernet cable.

I have run out of things to try! Anyone have a suggestion?

Dave WA5IMF

Photo of Dave Skinner

Dave Skinner

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of George Jones

George Jones

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Had this problem with my 6300 - same symptoms.  Turned out to be a short in the 8 pin plug on the factory mic.  Since you indicate that no mic is plugged into your rig could be a short on the mic socket on the radio.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4166 Posts
  • 1328 Reply Likes
first thing to check is to make sure that you had not accidentally plugged the mic connector in upside down or crooked and bent one of the mic pins so that it is shorted.

Then check to see if there is any stray wire or other matter in the 8 pin jack that is causing a short.

Then check software and see if anything is sending commands to the rig, like a stray macro in DDUtil or something.

Then you might consider doing a factory reset - hold OK button for 5 seconds while powering up - .  (after having exported your profile settings.) and rebooting both rig and computer to see if it clears things up.

Then...the fun starts if it is still doing it.....
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9178 Posts
  • 3525 Reply Likes
If after a rest back to factory defaults does not fix the issue and nothing is connected to the radio except an Ethernet connection and power, open a HelpDesk ticket.  There are VERY little ESD chips in the mic connector input lines that can cause a behavior similar to what you are reporting