6500 interfacing to Acom 1000

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago

Next week I’m going to place an order for an Acom 1000 amp. According to on line feedback I see that the keying jack operates at 12V at ~ 25 ma. I guess I’m just paranoid, but I’m seriously considering having my 6500 key a small relay, used as a buffer. Has anyone ever had any problems keying the amp directly off the 6xxx?

Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 402 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Jean-Luc / F5JRC

Jean-Luc / F5JRC

• 50 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I key directly an old FL2100Z without any issues to my 6500.

Page 27 hardware reference manual:

• Δ – The TX Relay outputs are designed to handle signaling levels of up to +40 VDC @ 140 mA maximum.
Jean-Luc / F5JRC

Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 493 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
I had the same concerns about keying a PW-1 so just to be on the safe side I used a Ameritron ARB-704 Keying Buffer.  Cheap insurance.

KF4HR
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9130 Posts
  • 3453 Reply Likes
You should have no problem keying it directly, but I cannot agree more strongly that a keying buffer is excellent insurance.
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1467 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
No buffer needed with my Acom 1500. I have a buffer available in the shack, It would be good insurance, and it is required for connections to my Heathkit SB-220. But, the Acom has never needed it. YMMV. Be safe and buffer it.

73, Jay - NO5J 
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 512 Posts
  • 119 Reply Likes
WA2SQQ,
Do not buffer the Acoms, only go direct with rca/rca cable. Simple is bettter.
I have the 6300 and an Acom 1000 amp.
The problem I found out the hard way was when I first tried my old home-brewed buffer.
The Acom is microprocessor assisted/monitored/controlled.
If you run a buffer the Acom will error with "Hot Switching" and bypass itself.
There is enough of a delay in the buffer that the Acom will see it and object.
The Flex is transmitting "before" the amp has been switched in line by the buffer relay is how it was explained to me.
You have chosen an excellent amp and you cannot hurt it direct keying.
I got my info to fix the problem from HRO's Acom guy. Don't recall his name now.
You are going to be very happy with this combination.
I sold my TL-922A and an ALS-600 to do this and would absolutely do it again.
73' and GL.
Clay N9IO
Photo of ON5AM

ON5AM

• 48 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
hello Clay,
I have an Acom1000 with flex6300 just like you. I have many times "hot Switching". what's the setting for resolve this problem ?
(Edited)
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 402 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Thanks. My 1000 will be delivered on Saturday
Photo of elan

elan

• 140 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
do not use amp without a buffer look on this one it is the best 
http://k4avu.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1298607
73 elan g0uut
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 402 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
I've been told by many not to use any interface as this causes the hot switching problem
Photo of elan

elan

• 140 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
yes if you use MFJ  one 
this one is opto buffer no moving part  the i think call RB 704 BUFFER IS THE MOST 
crap buffer ever made ,but yes try with no buffer good luck .enjoy 
Photo of elan

elan

• 140 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
btw the Acom 1000 is a great Amp and i did ask as well Acom about that , you cn just plug it to the flex however for me i like the buffer and it is opto one from K4avu well made one nothing will happen 
to the flex so don't worry to much just enjoy this great amp 
73 elan g0uut
Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 493 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Years ago I learned (the hard way) that not using a keying buffer can be costly, particularly if you want to use a modern transceiver with a legacy amplifier. I always use Ameritron ARB-704 keying buffers now.  I'm currently keying my ICOM PW-1 HF amp, and Lunklink LA-22 VHF amp with them.  No hot switching, or any other problems at all.
(Edited)