6500 gets me HI on 160m

• Praise
  • Updated 2 months ago

So last night my 6500 proved itself again. Worked K9FD in Hawaii using FT8, barefoot (100W) into my quarter wave slooper.  I seriously doubt that my old Yaesu FT-1000MP could have pulled this off. It’s worth noting that I’m about 2 miles from a 50KW AM broadcast station, which doesn’t give me any problems. 49 states down, now to find the last one - AK. Any KL7’s out there wants to make a sked? Flex team, thanks for making a kick a** radio!

Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 456 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of sky

sky

• 46 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I have worked Hawaii with 10 watts which is all that is needed to effective run the low power FT8 mode. 
Photo of Johan / SE3X

Johan / SE3X

• 76 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
And here we go again .. FT8 is NOT a low power mode .. It's a week signal mode! Use any power you need to make the QSO.
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 319 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
Merv K9FD was my HI QSO on 160 FT8 as well .

Check out his QRZ page. He's located on a former AM broadcast site with original radial system in place.
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 456 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Yes I know. I’ve been exchanging emails with him preparing for the seed we had. It’s a long haul from NJ!
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 319 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
I know. I'm in upstate New York and I also got him on 100 watts with my Hustler 6BTV vertical and a homebrew 160 mod that made it into an inverted L

fyi...KL7J is on FT8 a lot. I saw him last night
(Edited)
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3178 Posts
  • 706 Reply Likes
what tx bandwith does t8 use? I was asked that this morning and was not sure.
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1233 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes
FT8 uses 50 Hz BW. The typical band segment for FT8 is 3 kHz, so a LOT of signals in 3 kHz
Photo of Steven Linley

Steven Linley

• 290 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Good article by WA8IMY, Steve Ford, in QST.
Photo of Steven Linley

Steven Linley

• 292 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Congratulations, I get a kick out of -24dB QSOs.
I missed the memo on the necessary v 2.0 update, lost out on some good QSOs. Good thing I checked in to Flex Net last Sunday.